Pages

Sunday 9 April 2017

Weekend break part 2 - Llangollen and the Horseshoe Pass



When I was young we visited Wales for holidays quite often and last weekend I was happy to discover that I was only a short drive from somewhere we had driven through and probably stopped off at en route to our holiday destination many times when I was small, Llangollen.
Now I must confess that I cannot remember anything about this small town from my childhood except for it's name, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Not only do they have a steam railway it's also famous for it's canal and canal boat holidays.





And some seaside treats





I was lucky enough to see some brave souls on the water






Phew, there're through!


There is no way you would get me doing anything like that! But I did enjoy taking these photos of them.

Next I wanted to drive over somewhere that I do remember very well, the Horseshoe Pass.

When I was little I was always amazed by this road and the drops over the side!




We would always stop at the top, have a picnic and be excited to see the sheep roaming freely.
The day I went there were no sheep but there was still a cafe at the same place and it's still a popular place for biker meet-ups.



I found somewhere called the Horseshoe Falls just a couple of minutes walk from Llangollen,
such a lovely peaceful place.



And I found myself a house, lol.

This house has the view of the previous photos, I wouldn't mind sitting out on that deck and enjoying that view, how about you?


I retraced my drive back down the Horseshoe Pass and stopped for a coffee and a toasted tea cake
at this Abbey ruin.



I definitely don't remember this place from my childhood so I don't suppose we ever stopped here to look around.

So that was it, my weekend away over, I headed home after my coffee break and I must say that I felt restored and ready for the week ahead.

I'd really like to go here again this year and perhaps have a better look around the town, It's only a 90 minute drive but it's a whole different view.

Next time I will have some crafty goodness to show you.

Until then, have a great week
-X-

10 comments:

Jo said...

It looks fabulous, you certainly made the most of the weekend. We're so lucky to have so many wonderful places to visit within a relatively short drive.

KC'sCourt! said...

We went there a few year ago when the boys were young in the nineties. We had a wonderful day on the steam railway.

Julie xxxxx

Vickie said...

Oh how nice. I really like the last photo.

cucki said...

Wow so pretty..I love x

Julie said...

Rather them than me in the raft!
Wales is such a wonderful place, so much to see and do - great pictures you captured.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

What a lovely place with lots to see xx

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Great pictures, Maggie. Thanks for sharing. It's almost as good as being there myself.

Miriam said...

Very nice place and lovely spring weather
Miriam

Barb said...

That looks like a fun little town! The drive was so pretty. I really enjoy seeing your photos from the trips that you take and the places you visit.

Brigitte said...

Your gorgeous pictures remind me of the wonderful holidays I have already spent in Wales.
Thanks for sharing.