Pages

Thursday 27 June 2019

This is not a cooking blog

I had trouble getting to sleep last night, no doubt due to the lie-in on Wednesday morning, so I got up earlier this morning and cracked on with some cooking right away.  

I find it too much bother most nights just to cook for me so while I had the time I thought I would stock the freezer with things I can just get out on the days I don't feel like cooking, or for the days I get in later from having the kids.  
I've been guilty of not eating properly again lately, I tend to eat breakfast late, I can't face eating first thing so have my breakfast at work around 10.30 and I don't usually bother with anything at lunch time, that then means I'm hungry late afternoon and if I eat late afternoon i'm not hungry at tea time!

Clearly I need to change things.

Last weekend I made Lasagna, chilli and spaghetti bolognase, this morning I made two curry dishes.  If you are familiar with Slimming World you will probably recognise these two.

Sweet Potato Curry


I love sweet potato curry and will have it with either boiled rice or cauliflower rice.

Mushy Pea Curry

Yes, I turned my nose up at this too when I first heard about it but honestly, It's really nice. Honestly!!
I can have this with either rice or it's lovely over some salmon or a basa fillet too, so I've got a couple of meal options there.

I also made a batch of tomato and mascarpone sauce to have over pasta, so together with Last weekend's  lasagna, spaghetti bolognese and chilli I made I have a few options for tea time

My favourite breakfast is overnight oats made with either porridge oats or muesli but I've been wanting to make my own granola for a while to have as a change, so I made a small batch of that this morning too.  I think I may have slightly overcooked it, but It smells delicious, just hope it tastes as good as it smells 😃


I've come to the conclusion that I'm fussy about food.

If I were to list here everything I don't like you would wonder what I did like, so in an effort to try and eat better I've started to make a list of the meals I actually like eating and i'm going to try and make a four week meal plan from that list, I'm up to week three at the moment and struggling.

I'd be interested to hear if any of you work to a meal plan and if you do, does it help?

By the way, these are week day meals just for me as Mark is away during the week and would not eat either of the curries I made today anyway.  (Although he will eat quorn Swedish style meat (less) balls because I never told him they were quorn  😁 

I've gotten away with that twice now, lol  If I'd told him they were meat-free he would immediately say he didn't like vegetarian c***p.

Luckily he doesn't read my blog so will never find out 😈

If you would like to know how I made any of the above, let me know and I will add them to my recipe page.

Thank you to those who left comments about the plant names.  I sort of thought that the white flowering one was a Mock Orange Blossom but it does not have a smell at all, which is strange.  I've looked it up and apparently we will be able to cut it back once it's finished flowering.

-X-

5 comments:

Barb said...

I'm not much of a cook. I just do it out of necessity, definitely not because I like it! My DH is home all the time as we are retired but I still think I could trick him because he does not pay much attention to my cooking. He does think like your DH about vegetarian.

Jo said...

Mick's exactly the same, he'd turn his nose up if I put a plate of food without any meat on it in front of him. It must be hard when you're only cooking for one throughout the week, I think batch cooking is a good idea and then you've got some meals good to go.

Poppypatchwork said...

I think we are all guilty of eating the same meals each week, if it's simple and we don't have time, it's better than takeout. We got A pinch of nom last month and are loving the dishes, they use normal store cupboard ingredients, and the meals taste great, perfect also for the summer months. I love you cheat with your meatballs with your hubby, I'm lucky we have 2 days a week meat free here, and fish 2 days, so we are having a very mixed diet.

Vickie said...

Well Maggie I am interested in these quorn Swedish style meat (less) balls of yours!

Shebafudge said...

Those curries look great!
I hate cooking and it is a wonder that the kids didn't starve to death growing up...lol. It will be interesting to see what happens when they go off to uni in September.