Pages

Friday 15 November 2019

Wet and wild

Yesterday was just awful, I don't think it stopped raining all day and the temperature only reach 3° all day.  There are flood warnings in many places throughout the UK, thank goodness we are not in one of those areas, it must be just terrible for the people who are though, my thoughts go out to them.

I took this photo through the kitchen door yesterday, the grass is just covered in leaves but with it being so wet we haven't had chance to get out there to clean them up.  Mark swept all the path last weekend but it was just too soggy to attempt to clear them off the grass. 


Marlene, when I see the grass covered in leaves like this I think of you saying that you don't like to see leaves on your garden, I think my garden would drive you nuts at the moment, lol



You can't see from the photos but the boarders are full of water up to and at some points, extending onto the grass.  It's going to take a while for that to dry out!

There are still plenty of leaves still to fall, I just hope that by the time we can get out we won't be knee deep in them, lol

I do love both Autumn and Winter, I don't even mind cold mornings, but rain, ugh! hate it.

There were a couple of days last week when it didn't rain so when I finished work at lunch time I went for a walk around the local park.

When I think of Autumn, this is what I want to see, beautiful colours :-)

Beautiful gates to Mary Stevens Park, Stourbridge





I've been taking along some bread to feed the ducks and geese on the pond while i'm there, they swim alongside as you walk, I felt like the Pied Piper, lol.  You can help yourself to food (for a very small donation) to feed them but I recently saw a post on FB that said that ducks were starving because people were no longer feeding them bread because they had been told it was bad for them.  I suppose it's better for them to have bread than nothing at all, especially in the Winter.

It's felt like a very long week this week, three afternoons looking after Oliver and Bonnie after work and not getting home until after 6.30, make for very long days when i'm out of the house at 8am.  Joanne will be on maternity leave in a couple of weeks so at least I will only have Oliver to collect from school then.  
Not sure what's going to happen when this new baby comes.  

Don't get me wrong, I do love having them and I'm glad I'm able to help out, and I know I'm lucky that they all live close by and I can see them regularly, but I'm not going to lie, it's hard work, especially all the toing and frowing and In and out the car with two of them. 

There is a reason why Mother nature stops you having children when you are older, they tire you out, lol

Tonight I'm going to the cinema with my girls to see 'Last Christmas'  and on Sunday we are going to the Christmas Gift Fair at the NEC in Birmingham.   I've persuaded Mark to come with us this year, he is the original Bah Humbug when it comes to Christmas, so that should be interesting,  but I've told him there is free cheese and wine so he might just survive it :-)

I'll be back soon with a couple of stitching finishes, once I can get enough daylight to take photos.

See you soon
-X-

13 comments:

Jo said...

Your garden always looks beautiful whatever the season. I don't mind autumn so long as it's a bright and sunny day, it's the dreary wet ones which tend to get me down. You're such a good mum helping your girls out, I know I was always so thankful that my mum could have my children when they were young but I do realise how tiring it must be. Enjoy your evening at the cinema and also your day out at the Christmas Gift Fair, that sounds like fun.

Poppypatchwork said...

Our lawn is covered in leaves, it's just too wet to pick them up even off our fake grass, we should have a couple dry days over the weekend. You do have a neat garden, we use a leaf blower/sucker on our paths and lawn, but I hand colle t off the garden covered in slate.

crafty cat corner said...

Funny, Tom was reading me that bit on facebook this evening about feeding the ducks. You don't know where you are do you, one minute they say don't feed and the next its okay. People have been feeding the ducks and swans for years without an harm.
I love your garden and the little sun house in the corner.
Briony
x

jane said...

Wonderful photos! Such glorious colours! Your garden is beautiful and your park looks like a beautiful place for a walk. It's been very cold and wet here too and we're very fortunate that we're not in an area likely to get flooding. Best, Jane x

Barb said...

Love the comment about Mark. I have gotten my DH to many Christmas things by promising him there will be food. In fact we went to an open house at our favorite garden center yesterday with just such a promise. They did have delightful treats!! No matter how much we love our grand children, we are worn out after a day with them.

Barb said...

Love the comment about Mark. I have gotten my DH to many Christmas things by promising him there will be food. In fact we went to an open house at our favorite garden center yesterday with just such a promise. They did have delightful treats!! No matter how much we love our grand children, we are worn out after a day with them.

MartinaM said...

I have to say - I like it when the Bunte leaves in the Garden covers the beds, like a small blanket that covers itself protectively over the flowers and meadows.
The park looks fantastic, so I would like to go for a walk.
Have a nice Weekend, Martina

butterfly said...

Beautiful Autumn photos , and your garden still looks pretty .
I know the feeling I looked after 5 GDC children . But they do grow up so fast .
Even though it is hard work , you will never forget these happy times .
Now I have many GGC , but It is my daughters turn now .
Have a great weekend enjoy.

Julie said...

Your leaf ridden garden looks like mine, and yes, we too have borders that look more like ponds! Lots of roads round here are flooded so tomorrow morning will be fun for the commuters on their way to work as its been raining all day again today.
Hope you enjoyed the film and show. I know a few that were going to the NEC this weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

The weather has been awful hasn't it! We have had a lot of rain but thankfully no floods … my thoughts are with all those that have been affected by the floods.

Lovely to see those Autumn photographs, they are wonderful and I think your garden is still looking good.

We were fortunate to go out today and both Eddie and I went back to our childhood!!! We kicked some Autumn leaves around … it was such fun :)

I enjoy visiting Christmas Fairs … hope you enjoyed the one at the NEC.

Take Care

All the best Jan

Sandy said...

Your garden still looks pretty. Our leaves are all down and everything is gray and ugly right now. Argh. We need color. I think I'm going to start buying flowers for inside to brighten things up a bit. Have fun at the show tonight. We have an art thing early Dec that is wonderful, but I rarely get to go...seems there's always a conflict so have my fingers and toes crossed this year I'll be able to go.

Carol said...

Even in the rain, your garden looks pretty, Maggie! I'm with you, though--I don't mind the snow, but a rainy day affects my mood so severely. Yesterday we had a rainy morning and a sunny afternoon and it was like someone flipped a switch in my moods as soon as the sun came out. I really do need to move to a sunnier climate some day!

Tammy said...

Beautiful photos of your garden and other areas! Fall is my favorite. I have not seen Last Christmas, but I want to. Was it a tear-jerker? Hope you enjoyed!