Pages

Monday 19 September 2022

A final goodbye

 It's been about five weeks or so since I last wrote a blog post proper, I won't bore you with all the whys, just to say that I had a good few weeks when I felt quite down.  You would think that I'd have gotten used to staying at home by now, I've always been quite happy in my own company, but, there are still times when I miss the routine of going to work and mixing with people and having a purpose to my day.  I'm not going to dwell on my woes though, I will just say that I am making an effort to get out of the house more, and I feel better for it.

I've still been doing my knitting, and even stitching again and I'll share everything over the next few posts rather than bombard you with everything at once.  

I might as well start with one of my older finished pieces which was recently fully finished.

You may remember that I stitched Happy Christmas by Prairie Schooler during December 2021, I shared my finish in my January 1st post this year. 


I took it to my local needlework shop to be framed at the beginning of July, they are very busy at the moment and I only got a text to say it was ready to be picked up last week, and so here it is.


I chose a frame that will stand without support and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out.

The frame is showing a little brown here but it is black to match the aida and has a subtle grain which is more defined on this close up photo.

I'm going to enjoy having this one on display come Christmas.


A final goodbye


Of course today is the State funeral of our Queen, Elizabeth II. 
So many thousands of people made the journey to London to be part of this historic event and it's been wonderful to see everyone paying their respects in a quiet and dignified way.  
For those that couldn't make that journey the coverage on TV these last ten days has been outstanding, so that even sitting at home we have been part of it.

I've been sitting here this morning paying my respects in my own way and watching the proceedings on the TV, both the procession and the service in Westminster were very moving, she was truly a remarkable woman and will be greatly missed, not only here in Britain but across the world too.  

With the passing of  Queen Elizabeth II the New Elizabethan era ended, It's now time for King Charles to step into his mother's shoes, carry on her good work, and take us into the Carolean era.  I'm sure he will do a grand job, he has been in training for so many years and seems to have the same values as the late Queen, so I think we are in safe hands.

15 comments:

Margaret said...

Retirement life is certainly a major change isn’t it. Although I retired 3 years ago I was then full time carer for my elderly mother and that gave structure to my days and weeks. She died three months ago and I am at a real loss now and can feel the downward spiral in an almost physical sense. Stress eating isn’t helping either! Love hearing what you have been stitching. I sat up and watched the funeral on TV last night. Here in New Zealand the time difference meant it finished at around 4am so I’m blotto today!
Hope you are finding interests and activities as you enter Autumn.

MartinaM said...

The frame goes perfectly with Happy Christmas, a great pattern.
I've thought of your Queen a lot over the past few days, what an admirable woman she was, I really respect her. And I think your son Charles will do a good job, and he certainly has a good advisor in his son Prince William.
have a good time, Martina

Jo said...

Your stitching looks perfect in the frame and it will be a wonderful addition to your Christmas decorations. The Queen's funeral was such a grand affair, truly fitting for someone who has dedicated her life to serving her country. I'm sure Charles will follow in her footsteps and do a wonderful job as King.

Vickie said...

The frame is lovely and perfect Maggie.
The funeral was excellent and Charles will do a very good job of it.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your stitching and choice of frame :)

The Queens funeral was incredible, the television coverage excellent.
She will be missed but I think Charles will be fine. I wish him well.

Happy Autumn wishes.

All the best Jan

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Beautiful needlework, the colours are so vibrant. I know what you mean about being at home Maggie, keep your chin up, xx.

Sandy said...

Sorry to hear you're not yet used to retirement. Maybe you could find a parttime volunteer job to do that would give you purpose? LOVE your Christmas stitching, and the frame is perfect to highlight it. The passing of The Queen has really captured the world, and it will be interesting to see how Charles does. Here is the states I always got the feeling he wasn't highly regarded there. He certainly has big shoes to fill.

Carin said...

Beautiful cross stitch piece, love the colors.
I too have been watching tv for days, since the Queen passed away till her funeral. I'm glad the BBC filmed it all so that many from outside the UK could watch.

Carol said...

I'm pleased to see you've been knitting and stitching during your "down" time, Maggie--that is a good sign that you continue to do things you love. I do think getting out more might help. I went and got my hair cut and colored today and even that simple thing buoyed my spirits. I so love the Happy Christmas finish! I did the top third as an ornament, but would really like to stitch the whole piece some day.

I've been so surprised at the tears I've had watching the mourning for Queen Elizabeth II. She is not even my queen, but she was like the world's grandmother. I truly admire her spirit and her sense of duty and devotion to Great Britain and the Commonwealth that she displayed all those years. Really inspirational. I watched the funeral on television here at home and was amazed at the precision and perfection of everything. Such a wonderful farewell for a very deserving woman.

Linda P said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the other craft work done recently. Your stitched pieces always look beautiful. I admire your skill. I find close work difficult these days. I should get my eyesight tested, but find getting there daunting. I can sympathise regarding feeling a little down on retirement and missing the positive aspects of being at work. I've been retired a long time. At first I missed being in a working environment, but not now. To keep me feeling positive I try to plan a different activity every day either at home or out in our neighbourhood. All the best Maggie and I hope that you have a good day

Clare-Aimetu said...

It's certainly a different way of life being retired. I'm lucky that Hubby is retired too so we go out and about. I hope you find a balance soon and feel brighter. Your Christmas piece is beautiful, great idea to have it standing. It's been a very sad week with the passing of Her Majesty, such an amazing lady.

meandmysmallcorner said...


Your stitching is lovely Maggie and the black frame matches perfectly with the black aida background.

The State funeral was incredible to watch wasn't it? We were rooted to our seats all day. I wish King Charles all the very best. He has a hard act to follow.

Jackie said...

Lovely stitching Maggie. The frame is perfect.

I still cannot believe that the Queen has passed. It is going to be hard to remember to say God Save the King.

God bless.

Chris said...

Very lovely stitching as usual Maggie and the frame is perfect. I can get down some days and I have my super hubby with me all the time, so no wonder you have down times. I wonder if it's our hormones after a certain age. My broken sleep is caused by lack os estrogen, so says my GP so have a supplement and it has helped. Hope you feel a little brighter soom.

Sandy said...

Waving hi, as I make my blog rounds. Hope you're doing well