Pages

Sunday 23 April 2017

Wonderwool Wales, a yarnny adventure






I've never been to a yarn festival before, I had planned on going to Yarndale this year with Joanne, (daughter #2) but as she will have a new baby less than a month old by then we will have to give it a miss this time.  We decided instead to go to Wonderwool Wales, which is held at the Royal Welsh Showground in Builth Wells in the beautiful Welsh countryside.  The drive was a bit further than I had anticipated, about 2 hours, but the day was bright and the scenery wonderful so all in all the time driving was pleasant enough.

I've heard people say how crowded Yarndale is and to be honest it does put me off a little, after all you go to browse what's on offer and if that's difficult it can be very frustrating.  I'm happy to say that Wonderwool was great in that respect, there were lots and lots of people but there was still plenty of room to walk around and look at the different stands without being jostled around.  When we found a stand that had a crowd we just passed it by and went back later and that worked for us.
  There was plenty of food on offer and enough seating too, although as it was such a lovely day quite a few people decided to picnic on the grass.

I'm afraid I got a little carried away with my purchases!  although to be honest I could have bought more, I only took a certain about of money with me and stuck to that budget, no debit card spending!

 The scarf kit caught my eye as soon as we walked in, so I went back for that later in the afternoon, (my motto is always do a reccie first to see what's on offer.  The grey fleck yarn is from Moonlight yarns, (they have an etsy shop although I haven't looked for it yet) and is a sock weight 100% Superwash Merino and is so soft!  I'm thinking a shawl for this one.  The ones in to top photo I just loved the colours.  and the Tek-Tek I bought for a bag project that I have been wanting to do for ages.  As you can see I also bought a selection of hooks, clover are my preferred hook, i've tried others and can't get on with them, and some needles because I haven't got this size.

Of course I want to start EVERYTHING NOW! but I do have a couple of things on the go that I need to finish first, I'm being firm with myself, lol.

Being about all things wooly and yarny there had to be some sheep.

Cute little lambs, look at that face!

Some sheep with dreadlocks, lol


And this one, who was so lovely and friendly, look how she is enjoying that fuss!
She also had a lovely face and a beautiful curly fleece and the cutest babies.


All in all it was a great day out, I'm glad we made the effort to go.

Hope you all had a great weekend too.

Until next time
-X-

7 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

Sounds like a great event, love the sheep.

Jo said...

Wonderwool is one of the festivals I'd love to go to. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and you made some fabulous purchases. You do have to be strict at these festivals, it's so easy to overspend when faced with such beautiful yarn. I've enjoyed my visits to Yarndale but it's so busy, I think I may go on the Sunday this year if I can manage it, it's supposed to be a little quieter on the second day. Those sheep are so cute, especially the one liking all the fuss, just look at the ecstasy on her face. Looking forward to seeing your makes.

Julie said...

Great selection of wools you purchased Maggie. Alpaca is so soft to knit with, that scarf will be so snuggly and warm.
Two ladies from my craft group went to Yarndale last year, their first time, and were disappointed - they said they couldn't get near the stalls to look at the things as it was so busy on the Saturday and came away not purchasing much at all (that's a rare thing for them as they go to most craft shows!)

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Sounds like a good day out with lots of scrummy purchases. The sheep are gorgeous, I wouldn't mind some of those dreadlocks for my felting xx

Justine said...

Sounds like a great day out. You bought some lovely wool and it must have been fun to meet the original "suppliers"!

cucki said...

Wounds like a great day out..love the sheep,
Love and smiles x

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

A great day out and plenty of purchases; who could ask for more :)