Pages

Monday 25 July 2022

Lovely Llandudno and Beautiful Bodnant

No makes to share this week, I've been trying to get the sleeves of my jumper done and also the last in the trio of socks cast on in June, both seem slow going at the moment but, the end is in sight.  

Heritage Hall, (I'm sorry I don't know your name), commented on my last post and asked about the pattern for the corner to corner baby blanket, It's a free pattern by Lion Brand and can be found Here, I have always been asked about where to find the pattern and should have mentioned it last week. 

So, this weeks happenings.  We went on a little weekend break, from Friday to Sunday this weekend to one of my favourite places, Llandudno, in North Wales.  Bodnant Gardens has been on my list of places to visit for a while and as it's only about 6 miles from Llandudno we thought we would combine the two visits.

After all the fine hot weather of last week the forecast wasn't that good for the weekend but we were lucky, at least until we were going home on Sunday.  

We didn't arrive until around 3pm on Friday so just had a mooch around the town and later a walk along both beaches, Llandudno has two beaches, North shore is where you will find the pier and all those lovely Victorian buildings, the West shore is much quieter.  We walked down towards the West shore as the sun was going down and were treated to a wonderful sunset.


The weather was a bit unsettled on Saturday morning but the forecast said it was going to be better in the afternoon, so we explored the town some more before taking the tram up the Great Orme in the afternoon.  



We decided we would walk back down and stop to visit the mines, which are at the half way point.  These Bronze Age mines were discovered in 1987 after work was started following planning permission to build a car park.  There are around 4 miles of tunnels under this area, a small section is open to the public and the work is still on-going to discover more about the area.  It was an interesting place to visit, although Mark's not keen on confined spaces and was glad to see daylight at the end of the tunnel!

We carried on walking down, back towards Llandudno, which wasn't as bad as I thought It would be, although we did take one of the easier routes, but I can now claim to have walked the Orme :-) 








The weather was beautiful when we got up on Sunday morning, really warm and sunny and I was pleased we had decided to wait until today for our visit to Bodnant Gardens.   After breakfast we packed our bag and set straight off.  Bodnant is around 6 miles from Llandudno but we did take the scenic route along Marine Drive, around The Great Orme, so it was more miles but well worth it for the views .  I've shared photos of this route before, Here , we didn't stop to take any on Sunday.  We did stop at the church of ST Tudno to enjoy the view for a while though.



There is a beautiful Manor House in Bodnant Gardens, unfortunately it isn't open to the public, the grounds are stunning though with different walks and gardens to explore, I loved looking at all the different plants and shrubs and in the garden centre on the way out I did buy a couple of plants for our garden.











Unfortunately the good weather didn't last long enough for us to enjoy all that was on offer, the rain started and at first it looked as though it might blow over but then it quickly got heavier and we had to head into the coffee shop.  Such a shame because there were another two walks we could have done if it had stayed nice.  We will definitely be back in the area again though and will plan a future visit.

Have a good week all
-X-

17 comments:

busybusybeejay said...

One of my favourite places.Something to see throughout the year.Barbarax

Tammy said...

Maggie, those photos and landscape are magnificent! I envy you being able to enjoy such beauty! I look forward to pics of your next visit too!

Lowcarb team member said...

It's so nice to have a weekend away.
Your photographs are lovely.

I will have to add it to our places to visit sometime in the future.

All the best Jan

Jackie said...

What a lovely place to visit.

God bless.

Heritage Hall said...

Bless you for the information, Maggie. I obtained
the instructions and purchased the required accessories to make the blanket..a lovely denim hue
for our new nephew... But, my oh my, what a splendid trip upon which you have taken us... when
ever a manor house with cultivated grounds comes up
in a novel, one need only gaze on your photos to get an image for background...superb... I so enjoy
your trips and go along vicariously, absorbing the beauty that surrounds you. Ever grateful.
Mary

MartinaM said...

Oh that looks like a great trip, such beautiful and interesting pictures, I can understand that you like it, that would also be something I really like.
Have a good week, Martina

butterfly said...

Oh I use to love going there , when some of my family lived in Wales .
So happy you had a lovely trip , My Aunt would say it always rains in Wales .
Have a good week.

Linda P said...

Your wonderful photos of your time in Llandudno have reminded me of a happy holiday there. We were taken on coach trips and passed by Bodnant. It's a garden that I would love to visit.

Jo said...

What a wonderful weekend away. It's nice to go somewhere you know and love, and adding somewhere you haven't been before makes it that extra special. It's a shame the weather spoilt itself at the end of the weekend but at least it held off until then.

meandmysmallcorner said...


Always nice to have a weekend break away. Glad you enjoyed the time in Llandudno and the visit to Bodnant gardens. Have a good week.

Chris said...

Lovely photos, and a lovely break away, thats what we need.. we'll have to sort something out.

Carol said...

What a lovely weekend getaway, Maggie! We just got back from our little anniversary trip and it sure is refreshing to be away for even a short while. Bodnant Gardens look amazing and I enjoyed each one of your beautiful photos! Have a great day! ♥

Terra said...

I found your blog today and enjoyed the tour of the ocean, hills and of the estate gardens. Does a family live in the home? I am a widow and my hubby and I had a running joke involving the word wench (I like that word in your blog name). He had a Jeep Wrangler and always said he needed a winch, or was it wench. I would say he could have a winch but not a wench. Nice to meet you here.

Robin said...

Absolutely beautiful photos of what sounds like a lovely time. Always great to have a little get away.

Sandy said...

Sorry the weather messed with your plans, but glad you got to see part of things you wanted and got some good walking in. Whew, I can see how steep it is. Thank goodness for the tram. Sounds like you had a very nice time despite the weather. And it's always good to start planning the next adventure. I've not been knitting this week either, must be bad mojo for us both, lol.

Carol said...

What a beautiful and interesting trip that must have been, Maggie! I bet the Bodnant Gardens were even prettier in person. It's too bad the manor house isn't open to the public--I just love touring old homes like that (my husband, not so much :)

Hope your August is going well ♥

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

I am just reading your lovely blog.I am a stitcher and knitter.I came via Carol of Stitching Dreams,who I have follewed for years.
I love your pictures of Bodnant Gardens..It is most favourite NT place to visit.It was sad to see the destruction in the Dell this year��
Your Whitmore sweater is lovely.The lace detail is so pretty❤️
I look forward to catching up with you again.

Lesley