Pages

Friday 22 March 2024

Sowing ALL the things

These last couple of months have been so wet and my garden is still quite muddy in places.  The grass at the top end of the garden is still too wet and soggy to walk on, it will need to be re-seeded as soon as it begins to dry out enough to walk on.  Up to yesterday we still has little pools of water in a few places, we need a week of good weather to start the drying out process.  

The top left photo is the grass, more mud than grass!

I have been able to tidy up some of the less boggy areas


And from down on the patio it all looks fine :-)


I decided to try my hand at growing some things this year, I sowed cosmos, sweetpeas, cornflowers, lupins, larkspur and a couple of other flowers, all have germinated and are growing nicely.  I also wanted to try some veg, so we have two variety of tomatoes, cucumber, courgette, aubergine, peas and potatoes.  Not sure if I will sow the carrot seeds I bought, I'll have to see if there is room.



I bought a planter for the strawberries and bought another few plants to fill it.  The ones on the left are the new ones, a different variety and growing slightly better than the ones I already had.


It will be interesting to look back on this post in the following months to see how my growing adventures are progressing

Today the sun is shinning at last, usually I take each season as it comes, I don't wish one to pass any faster than another but this year with having so much rain I'm glad of a dry sunny day.

This was the view from my kitchen window this afternoon, I just love the window-box full of daffs, such a cheery sight when I open the blind each morning, they are almost coming to an end and I'm wondering what to plant in there for the Summer months now.


Hope you are all doing well, I'll try and pop back at the end of the month for a round up of all my crafty endeavours 

-X-

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've put my carrot seeds in a tub of compost mixed with sand, in hope they grow straight, I'm about to sow seeds as we were away and I did not want to miss watering. My veg beds are new this year, Marlene, Poppypatchwork

Debi said...

Your yard looks lovely and so inviting! Looks like your seedlings are coming along nicely and I love your daffodils. Have a great weekend!

Carol said...

I always love seeing your yard, Maggie! It looks like such a nice manageable size and you don't need to worry about deer eating everything in sight like I do :) Beautiful spring flowers and I look forward to watching all of your plantings grow and bloom/produce veggies! Enjoy your weekend ♥

Jackie said...

Maggie, what a lovely yard you have. Look at how all you have planted are sprouting and growing.

God bless.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, it certainly has been so wet and the ground so soggy hasn't it.
However, I do like the views of your garden, it looks lovely ... especially with all those colourful daffodils.

Enjoy the coming weekend.

All the best Jan

Linda P said...

You've been very busy sowing seeds and they're doing well. Enjoy the daffodils in the window box. Have a nice weekend Maggie. I look forward to seeing your craft work blog post.

Jo said...

Your garden's looking lovely and you've got an early start with all your sowing. Yes, we definitely need some drier weather to allow the ground to dry out, there's still standing water in all the fields around here.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Wow your daffs are sensational, I can just imagine them all waving their little heads in the breeze. Your seedlings look very exciting especially as we probably wont be growing much this year as we hope to move in due course.

Sandy said...

Your daffodils are so pretty. They don't grow well in my yard for some reason, so I have to like them from others pictures. I hope you have success with your seedlings. Next to reading and stitching growing things is my next hobby.

butterfly said...

Your garden is looking beautiful , even with the rain .
We are also having more rain than normal, we have only one day that was dry and we had to go out so nothing got done.
Can't wait for a dry day , it is rain again all week .
The plants are loving it.
Have a lovely Easter week ,Hugs June.

Shelly said...

Pretty gardens! I'm going to try to grow tomatoes and zucchini in pots this year. Where I live, we have clay in the ground which means terrible drainage. I just read of Molly's passing, so sorry. It's rough to have our furry family members pass.

MartinaM said...

I'm glad that it worked for you in your garden and that all the mud is gone, now the sun is missing, we sometimes have it for a few hours a day and then it's cloudy and wet again.
I started sowing herbs this year and I'm excited to see what happens.
Have a nice week,
Martina

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I always enjoy growing flowers and veg from seed and last week I started off the first batch in our greenhouse. Cosmos and zinnias have been the first to show their little green seedling heads. Our lawn is not very pretty at the moment as it is still so wet but no doubt it will eventually dry out. Happy gardening x

Aviator said...

Thank you for consistently delivering content that resonates with me. Access FAQs and troubleshooting tips for Aviator on our blog platform.