Pages

Monday 6 May 2024

Wonderwool weekend

 It's been a good few years since I went to the Wonderwool fibre festival, It usually coincides with our meet up at Nimble Thimble, but this year it didn't so I was able to go.

Initially I was only going on the Saturday but I really didn't fancy the drive there, all day walking around and the drive back, it's about 2 hours, not that far but that does depend on traffic and weather.  Anyway, I decided to make a weekend of it and stayed in a lovely little pub just on the edge of Hay on Wye.  I had a few hours in Hay, a lovely little place which has around twenty book shops.  I did browse but didn't buy but If you are looking for that hard to find book Hay on Wye is certainly the place to go.

After a lovely cooked breakfast I set off around 10am for the Royal Welsh Showground, which is where Wonderwool is held, it was supposed to be a 30-40 minute drive from where i was staying but just outside Builth I hit a traffic jam, all heading to Wonderwool, that 40 minute drive took me an hour and a half in the end!

The festival is held in three sheds with plenty of food and drink vans inside and out.  Saturday wasn't a nice day weather-wise, it rained most of the day but that didn't put visitors off, it was heaving! 

It was difficult to get to look at some of the stands and it was all a bit overwhelming with so much choice.  The last time I'd gone the show wasn't as big, I think it was only in 2 sheds and there were definitely fewer vendors then. 

I managed to buy one of the things on my list that first day, some stitch holder cords to use when knitting jumpers, I can't remember who I bought these from as the stand was really busy.

I bought a set for DK and thicker yarn and a set for 4ply.


By 2pm I'd had enough, the crowds and the fact that it was hard to get to some stands was making me irritable, plus the queues for coffee was stupidly long everywhere so I decided to call it a day and head back to my B&B room.

The next day was so much better, the sun was shinning and there were no traffic jams to get to the venue :-)

I didn't want to get single skeins of yarn, I've got plenty of those so bought a sweater quantity of Falkland merino.  I think I'll make another Trescao with this.


From Lay Family Yarns I bought a hot water bottle kit, I've never tried colour work so I thought this would be a good small project to have a go at and it won't matter if it's not perfect.


This is the pattern, you do have to buy that separately from Ravelry, but it's only £4.  l'll attempt this later in the year.


This Beatrix Potter set of minis caught my eye, I did think of a pair of scrappy socks, but will have to do some working out.

And my last purchase was this lovely basket.  I've seen these on sale at lots of the yarn shows, they are a bit pricey for a basket, but they are all handmade and as I hadn't bought much in the way of yarn I decided to treat myself.


I love it!  and it's already proved to be very useful.

I did meet up with a few ladies on the Sunday.  If you watch Anita from the Gaga Knits podcast you will know that she and her friend were also going to Wonderwool and when I mentioned I was going too she said to come and meet them at lunchtime, which I did.  Anne from No Excuses podcast was also there with her friend Penny and two other ladies, Pip and Sal, I think Pip has a podcast too but I haven't got round to watching yet.

Here's something you don't see very often, a photo of me, lol
 I'm on the left, Anita (Gaga knits) on the right.  


So that was my weekend, I had a lovely time, the drive back was wonderfully scenic so I took my time and enjoyed the views, I'll leave you with some photos I stopped to take.





See you soon
-X-

9 comments:

Carol said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip, Maggie, and picked up some lovely yarns! Especially love that blue one. And that basket is so pretty. Loved seeing the photos of your beautiful English countryside. I'm watching "All Creatures Great and Small" now on our local PBS station and enthralled with the scenery :) Enjoy your week! ♥

Lowcarb team member said...

Sounds a good weekend away.
I do like the basket and it was nice to see you in the photograph with Anita.
Beautiful photographs from your scenic drive back.

Enjoy the coming week.

All the best Jan

Jackie said...

Lovely yarn purchases and that basket is so... well just beautiful. Enjoy all that you managed to find.

God bless.

Chris said...

Wow what a fantastic visit, I love all that wool you've bought and the basket is lovely. I've never been there, only been to the Sept show at Skipton.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Glad you enjoyed your short break to Wonderwool and bought some pretty yarn and a few other bits and pieces. The water bottle cover will be a fun project to work on. Hay on Wye is a lovely place to stay and if you are a book lover there is plenty of choice to browse around there.

butterfly said...

What a lovely trip .
I use to love going to the shows , but they get so busy now, I get put off going . We have a big show here this week but last time we went I got so wet I said never again. But it's fun to see the new goodies . Love the photo ,
Have a fun week hugs June.

MartinaM said...

Oh, you bought lots of little treasures, beautiful strands of wool. and the basket is lovely.
Happy knitting
Martina

Jo said...

That sounds like a wonderful weekend, yarn, meet-ups and gorgeous scenery. You made some lovely purchases, I look forward to seeing your makes. I must admit that I tend to enjoy the smaller yarn shows now, after the jostle of Yarndale I've discovered that shows like Bakewell or Spring into Wool seem friendlier and more intimate, it's easier to look at the things you want to and chat with the stallholders. Saying that, the larger shows have more choice and more things to look at and I do enjoy that too.

Margaret said...

What a lovely time you’ve had enjoying company and no doubt nattering about your favourite hobby. I love the scarf you are wearing.