Pages

Tuesday 30 April 2024

Redwork

 The end of April already so it's time to share my stitching for the Stick6in2024 SAL. 

For the months of March and April the number 1 was generated and my pattern was one that had been in my stash for around four years, a lovely stitchery piece from The Birdhouse, called Gingerbread House.

The design comes already pre-printed on the fabric which is good because I always struggle to trace things.  The majority of the stitching is back stitching, with some french knots and satin stitch. 

The perfectionist in me isn't happy with the satin stitch sections, I tried them so many times and kept ripping them out, unhappy with how uneven the stitches looked.   I realised that I would have to embrace imperfection otherwise this stitchery would never get finished, and as I heard someone say recently, finished is better than perfect.   The perfection part of my brain would disagree with that saying, but I kept stitching and tried to ignore that little voice telling me my stitches looked bad.

To be fair you could probably pick faults with a lot of things in this piece, but on the whole I'm happy with it, no one is going to inspect it that closely anyway 😉


I used the recommended DMC thread, 221 Antique red, three strands for everything apart from the french knots and the satin stitch for which I use two strands.


Enjoy the rest of your week

-X-

9 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Well it looks good to me, and I love the smiles on the faces.

April has zoomed by!
Have a happy new month of May.

All the best Jan

Jackie said...

Your satin stitches look just fine. When I am not happy with something or find out I made an error in my cross stitch, I remind myself that there was only one perfect person in the history of the world. Also our First Nations People here in Canada (and I believe in the US) always make a small mistake in what they craft.

God bless.

Chris said...

Well what ever you think, it looks perfect to me and very pretty too.

Poppypatchwork said...

It's a beautiful finish, very rustic, DMC 221 is my favourite red shade.

butterfly said...

Love it , red work is lovely .
Hugs June.

Jo said...

You've made a lovely job of it, I think you're being over critical of your work, it's fabulous.

Carol said...

I just love this sweet piece, Maggie! It looks wonderful to me--in every aspect :) Hope your month of May is off to a good start--this year sure is whizzing by! ♥

Manuela said...

Hello Maggie,
what a beautiful Christmas Wallhanging. I like it very much.
Your satin stitch is wonderful.
Have a nice day, Manuela

MartinaM said...

Although you weren't that happy with the satin stitch, your great redwork pattern turned out perfectly, I think it's great, I really like it, your finish also fits great.
And that's right, no one else sees it, so it has to be the same way, that makes it your personal project.
Thank you for showing me,
Have a nice weekend, Martina