Pages

Sunday 23 March 2014

There's Something About Mary

Mary Glover that is.  
Can you remember when Emmanuel offered up this lovely SAL, way back in 2011?  There were so many stitcher's taking part, it seemed that everywhere you looked you would see Mary. 

 As usual I started with great enthusiasm but, also as usual, fell by the wayside. 
First it was the over one stitching, I hate over one stitching, although it does look fabulous when it's done, so I suppose it's worth all that effort.



Next it was the rice stitch that sent me into a panic, but there was no need for me to get into a flap because it was actually quite easy once I started it, and very enjoyable to do :-)



Finishing the rice stitched panel spurned me on to finish the sampler, that's when it I came a cropper yet again.  
I trotted off to the framers with my newly finished piece, got her all laid out to choose a frame but all the time I was thinking that something wasn't quite right, so I took her home to check.

When I came into the SAL I think others were already on the second part and for some reason, (and I have absolutely no idea why) I started stitching down a way from the top and never went back to finish, so I was 3 lines missing!  Thank goodness I noticed in time otherwise it could have been an expensive mistake!
I promptly banished Mary to the cupboard in disgust where she lay forlorn and forgotten for nearly another 12 months.

A couple of weeks ago whilst having a clear out I once again came upon poor forgotten Mary and decided that I had punished her long enough, she deserved to be finished and put on show.


I left off the two little straight stitched motifs at the bottom because I preferred the look without them I also dabbed a tea bag all over the finished stitching to give a more aged look. 

 Close up of the frame

So, yeah, there is something about Mary, she's beautiful, and I love her, but was also a pain in the ass, lol.

-x-

18 comments:

Carolien said...

What a lovely sampler!

Take care, Carolien

cucki said...

Truly so beautiful xxx

Hazel said...

Wow yes I still have her printed off! She certainly does look amazing. x

Tina said...

She looks gorgeous,must finish mine x

Melissa said...

Wow, she's just beautiful. I have never seen Mary Glover before so am pleased to see her for the first time. You must be so pleased!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Mary is just gorgeous - you've stitched her beautifully x x

Von said...

With all the trouble Mary's been, finishing her must be all the sweeter. :)

butterfly said...

Mary looks beautiful.

Krista said...

Gorgeous finish! Love all the blues in this one.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Your sampler looks beautiful. Well worth all the trouble.

Mii Stitch said...

This is a beautiful sampler! The frame is lovely and the finished piece looks fantastic.

Julie said...

She is beautiful Maggie, good job you found her and rescued her from the cupboard.

Barb said...

A beautiful sampler and a perfect frame!

valerie said...

Gorgeous finish Maggie! I am glad you persevered because Mary is too pretty to have slowed away in a drawer. I think she'll grace your wall perfectly.

Blu said...

She's gorgeous!

Julie said...

Love how your Mary turned out.
Mine was a pain too.Missed calculated the bottom part and all went wrong but got there in the end.At least you got yours framed and is looking lovely,mines still waiting. :)

Melanie said...

Awesome! I love that she has a 'story', too. :)

Salaneuloja said...

Awesome! You can stitch!