Pages

Thursday 25 May 2023

Fancy frock

I'm off to my book club in a few minutes but just had to pop in before I go to show you my latest sewing finish.  
I've been slowly plugging away at making this dress for a while and yesterday I finally finished it!

I'm really happy with how it came out, can't quite believe that I actually made something wearable!!



The  pattern is Hinterland Dress by Sew Liberated.  It wasn't difficult really, but I had the help of Holly at my sewing class for advice and help with anything I wasn't sure of.   I only worked on it at my weekly sewing class, which is one reason why it took much longer than It should have. 

The only criticism I have is nothing to do with the pattern and everything to do with me.  In the time it's taken me to make it I've lost almost a stone in weight.  At the moment I can get away with it but it will definitely be to big if I reach the weight I'm aiming for.

I chickened out on making button holes, (I don't feel confident enough to tackle those yet) so the bodice placket is false.  The wooden buttons I purchase at Holly's shop.


I'm already planning on making another one.  I think It will be good to repeat the process so that I can get familiar with some techniques, and also to make a smaller size.  I'm considering going down two sizes to give myself the motivation to get to my goal weight, watch this space!

PS.  Don't forget the giveaway on my last post is still open.  if you want to be in with a chance of winning the chart please throw your name in the hat, (if you haven't already) before the end of the month!

-X-

12 comments:

Sandy said...

Great job. I keep thinking I am going to get back to sewing, but I have yet to pull something out and stick with it. You are inspiring me.

Sue said...

That's lovely Maggie, such a good feeling when you've mastered something new and so handy too. Sue x

Anonymous said...

Double well done on finishing your frock and the weight loss, I think it's a great udea to make another one, as you know the process. Can't wait to see it finished. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

Purple Pixie Dust said...

love your dress. Have a great day hugs Lynda Ruth

Carol said...

Your new dress turned out so cute, Maggie--it looks so comfortable, too! I was just "thinking" about trying to sew a simple dress--haven't done anything like that in years and years--probably 50 years to be exact. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Your dress looks good, well done :)

All the best Jan

Jackie said...

Wow so very pretty. You did a very awesome job.

God bless.

MartinaM said...

A very pretty dress, it looks so light, just right for summer.
Oh yes, if you do it over and over again, some techniques only work better. I have my problems with buttonholes too, but they're getting better.
Enjoy the weekend
Martina

butterfly said...

Great dress love it nice material .
Well done .
You must sew more.
Have a lovely weekend hugs June.

Chris said...

That looks really nice and I too have used the same pattern and got a better result the second and even the third time! Happy sewing.

meandmysmallcorner said...


Your dress looks great Maggie. Nobody would know it was a false bodice placket and the wooden buttons finish the dress perfectly. Well done with the current weight loss as well.

Jo said...

That's fabulous. Such a handy skill to be able to make your own clothes. Well done on the weight loss too.