Pages

Monday 5 February 2024

What I made in January

Well that little blogging break was longer than I expected, no particular reason other than I just didn't really feel like it.  Now, because of my absence I have quite a few makes to share.

First up is Suzannah, my third Carriage House Samplings girl.   She was finished early last year but I only got round to taking her to be framed in November and by then the framers were so busy that I only got her back in January.


This is a terrible photo and doesn't do her justice.  The top of her dress looks to be in different coloured grey, It's not! In real life the colours are just fine.

Luckily they had the same frame used for my other two girls in the series, here's a close up.


I just have one more girl to stitch, Mary Margaret, and then I have all four.  I have all the supplies to start, just need the motivation.

January's stitching was all about the month of February.  I loved my little Winter bowl so much, (which was inspired by the lovely Carol), that I decided that I'd like a February/Valentine one, so this is what I stitched.


Above - Love You Too - by Hands On Design a 2023 freebie

Below - Love Is Kind - by Hands On Designs a 2019 freebie



Above - Hugs and Kisses - by With Thy Needle and Thread 
(part of the Love Notes collection)

Below Is a little Valentine freebie I found on Pinterest


And here they are all together along with a couple of fabric hearts I made to fill up the space.
The other two pieces are LHN February calendar girl and February flip-it by LK, both of which were stitched a few years ago.


January was also good for knitting.

The Birch Trees scarf by Julia Marsh is a free pattern on Ravelry.  I started it on December 29th and finished it on January 12th.  I absolutely loved every second of this knit and would definitely knit another one.  The yarn was from stash, it's undyed Falkland merino which I bought almost five years ago when I went to Yarndale.   It's unbelievably soft and squishy and will be lovely and warm.



My second knit is also neckwear, this is the Litmus Cowl, everyone and his dog has made this cowl and as usual I'm late to the party.  I cast this on when I went away with Joanne and the kids at the end of August, Joanne was doing the driving so It made perfect car knitting, I did get a good bit done on the drive there and back and managed to pick it up and do a few rounds now and again during the week. It was put to one side when I got home though and I didn't pick it up again until December. 
 
The yarn is again from stash which was bought at Yarningham two or three years ago with this cowl in mind.  The minis are called Spring Rainbow from The Crafty Bird the grey is Carrara Marble from Yellow Van Yarns.  I repeated the 10 minis twice, thirteen rounds for each of the colours and twelve rounds for the grey.  I've already worn this one quite a lot and it's another pattern I would happily knit again, perhaps in darker shades next time.


My very last finish for January was a pair of socks.

The Yarn is Opal, from their Beauty collection and Is really very soft and lovely to knit with.


So those are all my finishes for January, a good crafty month to start the year :-)

I hope you are all doing well and have had a good start to 2024, things are bumping along ok here, much the same as they always do.  I'll be back again before the end of the month to share my Stick6 finish and in the meantime I will try to catch up with blog reading, I'm way behind with that.

Enjoy the rest of February
-X-

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have been very productive, I love the cowl, and your dish if cross stitching items. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

Dee said...

Your Valentine's bowl is adorable with all your cute finishes. Looks like you had a good winter of knitting as well. Beautiful projects!

Chris said...

Gosh what a lovely lot of cross stitch and knitting, I've done very little in comparison.. love those muted colours of the cowl, beautiful.

Lowcarb team member said...

You have certainly been busy, many thanks for sharing your finishes.
I especially like your Valentines bowl, what a great idea.

Enjoy your February days.

All the best Jan

butterfly said...

You have been busy , lovely goodies you have made.
Have a great week hugs June.

Sue said...

Love the pretty colour of the socks and the scarf and cowl look so soft. Lovely idea with the basket of stitching, I've hardly touched anything this year, can't seem to get going xx

Jo said...

You have been busy, I love your little Valentine bowl, such a lovely display. The Litmus Cowl looks so soft, I think you'll be needing it by the end of the week if the weather forecast is right!

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyndsey said...

Love the Valentine bowl and those socks are adorable.

Jackie said...

What lovely Valentines Day stitching you did.

God bless.

Carol said...

Looks like you're starting off 2024 with a lot of beautiful finishes, Maggie! Love your little bowl of "love" stitching :) And your scarf and cowl are both lovely. Congratulations on finishing and framing your third girl in the Carriage House Samplings series. It always surprises me at how long it takes to get a piece back from a framer. But, a good framer is well worth the wait. Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day next week ♥

MartinaM said...

The frame fits Suzannah perfectly, a great motif. Your February bowl is great too. A nice idea.
Your scarf looks very elegant with the hole pattern. And this wonderful rainbow scarf, a dream. And the socks, I love the colors.
I hope You are fine,
Martina

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

You put me to shame with all your fabulous crafting. I really must get on with some new projects.

Vickie said...

Suzannah looks wonderful! Your bowl full of Valentine finishes are fantastic! So are your knitting finishes. :)

Sandy said...

You have completed quite a bit. I am impressed. The scarves are so pretty. I really wish I could knit. I seem to be fiddle fingers with knitting needles. The basket of Valentine's finishes are quite pretty together.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Your Valentine bowl is just lovely with all the little finished projects.
Scarf, cowl, socks and more, you have been very busy so far this year, Maggie .
Have a great week x

Miriam said...

I like very much Suzannah and all your valentines cross stitch together. You are also very good with knitting.
Ciao,
Miriam from Italy

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

These are all beautiful finishes Maggie. Your Valentine bowl looked great. What will your bowl look like:)