Pages

Tuesday 3 September 2024

Confused? I was and probably you will be too, or maybe you have the answer?

I've seen lots of people knitting the Rock It Tee by Tanis Fibre Arts, It's a simple top down vee neck tee with icord edging on the neck, hem and sleeves.  The pattern is written to carry the eyelet detail down the sides, I chose to keep it even more simple and leave that out.  
 I had originally  picked out two lovely hand dyed yarns to knit this top in but then at the last minute changed my mind, I didn't want to risk using the yarn and not liking the finished item so dug some King Cole cotton soft out of my stash to use instead.  The pattern is designed for 4ply yarn and the King Cole yarn is classed as a DK, although does feel a little thinner than regular DK.  I knit a small gauge swatch and worked out that I should knit the fifth size, size 44.


Not a great photo, It does look a bit shapeless on the hanger but the fit is absolutely spot on.  I've never done icord before, It was surprisingly easy and fun to do and I like the finish it gives.
The only thing I would do If I knit It again Is to make It longer, the only reason I didn't make It longer this time Is because I thought this yarn would grow, It's only been washed once and so far looks pretty stable, time will tell I suppose.

The pattern Is a paid for one and considering the cost I found the instructions confusing in parts, It wasn't worded very clearly, I even asked one of the ladies at our stitching group who knits how she would interpret a section I was struggling with and she agreed that the wording was not clear, (interestingly she read it different to me).  
In the end I messaged the designer asking her to clarify the instructions for the size I was making, but to be honest she didn't really answer my question, only said that there were no errors in the pattern, to trust the instructions as It had been knitted hundreds of times before. 

These are the instructions for size 38 through to 48 exactly as written in the pattern on the section I was asking for clarification. 

At this point my stitch count was correct, I had 96 stitches on the back and front.  These increase rounds each add an extra 2 stitches on both the back and front.

Sizes 38, 41, 44 & 48 only: 
Join yarn, starting with an increase round, work Inc rnd A every 2nd round
 - (-, 2, 1, 2, 1) times. 
Then, work Inc rnd B every 2nd round
 - (-, 0, 1, 1, 0) times. 
Then, alternate Inc Rnd B + C every round 
- (-, 1, 1, 2, 4) times. 

- (-. 104, 110, 118, 128) sts on front and back,
- (-, 63, 65, 67, 69) sts on each sleeve


Now to me a dash in a knitting pattern indicates nothing to work for that size, but that makes no sense here because It looks like there are six sizes but it says it's for four sizes 

so for size 44 I was reading..... 
increase round A work 2 times.  
Increase round B work 0 time. 
Increase round B + C 1 time.

But If I did that my stitch count would be two stitches short, and this Is what I'd asked the designer to clarify, was I reading the instructions wrong? Should the zero on increase round B read 1 instead?  As I said she didn't answer other than to say the pattern was correct.

I should say that the instructions for the smallest size and the larger sizes were not written in this way, they were much clearer, that's why I asked her If I was reading them correctly.

If I had ignored the dashes and counted from the first number for my size the stitch count would still have been wrong as that would read as 118 stitches.  Confused?, so am I!

In the end after reading and re-reading countless times the only way I was going to end up with the correct number of stitches (104, because I could see no way those increases were going to end up as 118 stitch count), was to work increase round B one time instead of the zero times indicated. 

I know It all worked out in the end, but I would like to know If you are a knitter, would you have read those instructions as I did, or differently? or can you please explain to me how I'm reading It wrong?

 The weather has still been warm enough for me to wear It a couple of times and I do like the fit of It so I might still use those two hand dyed yarns I'd picked out originally  and make another one for next Summer, I've made notes so It should hopefully go more smoothly second time around! Shouldn't it?


-X-

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
How frustrating I would have done the same as you and then got cross unpick assuming it was my error rein it and then probably have put it in the naughty step!!! Annoying when you have paid. Are there comments about it on finished projects on Ravelry?

butterfly said...

Oh no, I like the old simple patterns .
Clear and readable
But it looks does look nice .

Poppypatchwork said...

I'm with you and agree the pattern is unclear at the least, wrong if I'm honest, it's a very simple style so the pattern should reflect that. I do love icord edging. Your garment looks lovely.

Chris said...

Looks super and in cotton I should imagine cool.

Carol said...

Non-knitter, here, but it sure looks cute, Maggie! That would be frustrating to pay for a pattern and then have it be so confusing. And it doesn't sound like the creator was helpful at all.

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm not a knitter, but from what you write it does sound confusing!

All the best Jan

Jackie said...

The pattern is very unclear and the designer should have taken the time to answer your question. What the heck are the dashes for????

God bless.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Hello Maggie. Your new Rock It Tee looks great. I'm afaid I can't help with the pattern. I would have read it the same way you did. A shame the designer wasn't very helpful.
I enjoyed seeing your other recent finishes especially the cardigan and Bonnie's new hat. I do like Bothy threads designs and your bunny looks cute now he is finished and framed. I'm working on a Bothy wedding design currently. Have a good weekend.

Sandy said...

That really is very unclear. I think your interpretation with the stitch count is the only way to go, and I would have been unhappy with her for not answering you. It turned out nice, though I don't wear anything that short. Gotta cover the bum, so I like long tops.

Jo said...

So if you're knitting the fifth size, that would be the second to last in the brackets, so I would read that as increase round A twice, then increase round B once, then B and C twice, but that doesn't marry up with the stitch count you should have. Yes, it's confusing to say the least.