Pages

Monday, 17 August 2026

Knitting my sock stash

 In January I set myself a goal to knit a pair of socks each month throughout the year.  The idea was to fill a box with hand knitted socks for both myself and Mark for Christmas.

We are now in the middle of August and I've just recently finished my eighth pair.  I could choose to miss knitting a pair this month but I decided to cast another pair on this weekend and if life gets too busy towards Christmas I'll still be on track.

These are the latest two pairs finished

A pair for me....


And a pair for Mark.

And all the ones I've knitted so far this year.


It's going to be a tight fit, but I think I should manage to get them all in.

I wanted to try and knit all the socks from stash this year, and I'm happy to say that I have acheived that, so far at least.  I've only purchased one ball of sock yarn this year so I haven't been adding anymore to stash either.

I didn't think to take a photo of my commercial sock yarn stash back in January...But this is how it's looking at the moment.

It makes me happy to be using what I have and seeing less on this shelf.  The shelf is only one ball deep but there is still a fair bit to choose from; and certainly enough to keep me going until the end of the year.  There are also some part balls of solids in there too that I can use for cuffs, heels and toes if I choose to.

I find that the older I'm getting the less I want, of anything, not just yarn, and having a large stash of yarn, or any crafting supplies, is not something that bothers me anymore.  I love to look at yarn and enjoy a browse at yarn festivals and yarn shops, but I think I would much rather be in a position of finding a pattern I would like to knit and then shopping for the yarn, you know, like it used to be before there was so much yarny temptation on social media, lol.

Of course I will still sometimes get tempted along the way, but I would still like to keep to a sensible amount.  

I do have a reasonable amount of hand-dyed yarn - not a huge stash by any means, but enough to have some options.  Most of it is single skeins that I bought because I loved the colourway at the time, while some were gifts.

I could use some of them for socks, and there are definitely a few that I will.  But others are far too pretty to be hidden inside shoes!  So, I've been thinking about pairing some of the skeins together and using them to knit a few Tee's for next Summer - I think that would be a lovely way to make use of those special yarns and getting to enjoy the colours - Watch this space 😉

-x-

19 comments:

Poppypatchwork said...

There are so many shades and mixed pattern available, and like you, I got what I liked, these days I am using my stash to reduce the amount I keep in. I'm doing it with my fabrics as well. I love your socks are taste are similar.

Anonymous said...

I'm like you and have reached the same stage of thinking that buying yarn just because I like it or it's a "good deal" isn't my strategy going forward. I want to buy specifically for a project I want to make, as you say. Too often in my stash I don't have quite enough of something, the wrong fibre, the wrong colour, or the wrong weight for whatever I have in mind. Sock yarn is okay for me for a stash, but I'm still keeping that supply down, quantity-wise. I have to face the fact that I LIKE to shop specifically for a project, and shopping my stash isn't quite as much fun, unless I get in the mood to make something when I can't get to the shops! Ha, ha. Besides. I need less stuff in my house.

Beautiful socks!

Jen

Ria Keogh said...

I am feeling exactly the same as you regarding stash! Just want to use up all that I have. Perhaps it"s an age thing!! LOL

Jackie said...

What a great job you are doing on the socks. So many already fashioned. I am working on using up what I have as well before purchasing more. Now that I have the loom, I am finding it so much easier to do.

God bless.

Margaret said...

I counted up and I have 4 pairs of hand knitted socks! A pity really as I love knitting socks but obviously don’t need any more. My friends and relations don’t like hand knitted socks is so this is a Non-year for me🙁

Sandy said...

I love this. I would love knitted socks. I am trying to use stash too for small cross stitch projects whether I keep or give away. I have declutterred a bunch over the past few years and the key is not bringing new back in which the older I get I find that easier to do.

butterfly said...

What beautiful socks again .
Its just to hot for me to do any thing , at the moment .
I have wasted so much time this year , doing nothing ,
I have only been stitching small cards and bits .
The heat is just not going away .
The garden is dead , but keeping the flowers going with washing up water . Keep cool June.

Sooze said...

What gorgeous socks, I'm always envious of people who can knit socks....I can't even knit in a straight line without getting it all tangled and muddled. However, I can crochet - go figure! (although I've never crocheted socks).

Gill - That British Woman said...

those are gorgeous and like Sooze said I too am very envious of people who can knit socks. Well done!

Jules said...

All those socks look so great together. And the shades are beautiful. X

Chris said...

You have been busy, sock knitting and all your allotment work.

Carol said...

Your knitting is always so beautiful, Maggie! Love seeing your socks all displayed together. And using up stash is always the best feeling. I'm with you--I just don't want any more "stuff" around! At 71, I really need to be actively getting rid of things. Too many things makes me anxious! Enjoy your day! ♥

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

All your socks are looking lovely, Maggie and it must be very satisfying using up your stash to create them. I think you are right about not wanting to buy more crafty items without a reason. Your way is more sensible- pattern and then yarn or project then materials. Doesn't always work though. 😊
Those fires have been truly awful and so close to where you and your family live. I hope they are under control now. So sad for those who have lost their homes and all the ongoing emotional consequences and trauma it brings. Take care x

Lowcarb team member said...

Just love the look of your socks :)

All the best Jan

Pumpkin said...

Could I ask if you follow a pattern and whose

Christina said...

That‘s such a good idea, knitting a pair of socks every month. Good to have socks to wear, and to give away. I must admit to rather liking a bit of a stash but only sock yarn because that‘s easy to use without much worry about not quite having the right yarn for the right project.

Clare-Aimetu said...

What a great idea, your socks are lovely. I'm finding I'm getting more pleasure in using stash and finding a use for things than buying more, maybe that's an age thing.

Sandy said...

Well done on your goal of not buying more yarn and using up your stash. You've got some pretty yarn left to play with and all the socks to date look great. Well done. I've not been knitting in awhile, because all of my WIP are afghans, and who wants a ghan on ones lap in the summer heat.

Jo said...

Don't they look lovely all stashed together in a box waiting to be used. You're doing well with your sock knitting, a pair a month is good going. I seem to have lost my sock knitting mojo but I've got so many pairs of hand knitted socks that I've got plenty to keep me going until it returns.