Pages

Tuesday 7 September 2021

The last week of the school holidays - (lots of photos, sorry, not sorry πŸ˜ƒ

 Most of the schools around here went back on Monday but last week Oliver stayed over with me for a few nights and we had a couple of days out.

Joanne had last week off work so we took Oliver and Bonnie to Worcester for the day, they have an elephant trail around the town at the moment as part of a public art trail.  There are thirty large elephant and thirty six small elephant sculptures dotted in various places around the town, all individually designed.  They will be there for eight weeks, after that they will be auctioned off and the proceeds will go to St Richards Hospice.






Bonnie had been asking to go for 'afternoon cakes' for a while, so we found a cafe that did us a high tea.
Me and Joanne shared this


And the kids got finger sandwiches, a drink, crisps, a small chocolate and a choice of cake


We also visited the Cathedral.  
My youngest daughter, Stevie-Leigh, went to Worcester University and her graduation was in Worcester Cathedral, but apart from that one time when she graduated we have never been to look around inside.









Worcester Cathedral is also the final resting place of Prince Arthur, eldest brother of Henry VIII

 
And King John, of Magna Carta.


On the day we visited it was also the last day for the The Leaves  of The Trees Memorial.  I'd never heard of this travelling memorial but this is what the information board said about it:

"The Leaves of the Trees" installation will be visiting towns and cities around the country.  It has been designed to honour those who have passed away during the coronavirus pandemic and to allow us all to take a moment out to contemplate what we have been through both collectively and individually.
The installation is made up of , leave with the word HOPE on each, creating a beautiful impression of autumn leaves fallen from the trees and naturally scattered by the wind.

The leaves symbolise not only this period in time but also hope for the future, as the shape of a sycamore maple leaf traditionally symbolises, strength, protection, eternity and clarity.

Steel has been chosen as the material for the leaves to remind us of our resilience and collective strength.

As it moves around the country the steel will age, rust and change colour, just as the leaves of trees do when they fall each year.

It is hoped that the simplicity and beauty of the installation will give people the chance to pause and contemplate their own personal response to the pandemic.



Have you heard about this memorial? or seen it displayed in your town?

I did wonder if someone has to pick up all 5,000 leaves and place them all individually back down again πŸ˜•

On Wednesday me and Oliver had a trip to The Black Country Living Museum.  This is only a few miles from us and my kids used to love it there when they were little, seeing how things were done in the 'olden days' lol.  I haven't been for a good few years, they had added a few more things since the last time I visited.

This is the main 'street'.  All the building are original, they were taken down from their where they once stood in towns around the Black Country and re-built here.


They have games in the street, who remembers playing in the street when they were little?
We always played in our street, now there are just to many cars and other dangers for children to enjoy this amount of freedom



The low building on the right is the school where you can experience a lesson of the time.
The taller building in the middle is the fish and chip shop, it's always popular.


Inside some of the shops


I remember my granny had a big wireless in the kitchen.



They have added a transport section since the last time I visited, some interesting vehicles on display, including this little car

But I think Oliver liked the tram and the bus best


I used to go to school on a bus just like this, but it was the No. 130 to Halesowen πŸ˜€


We took a ride on the bus when we were ready to go home, those seats did make me laugh, funny how you can forget about something then as soon as you see it everything comes back to you!


They are in the process of adding a new era, there will soon be a new hub all about the 50's and 60's in the Black Country, I'll be interested in visiting that when it opens.

And yes, in case you wondered, my blog is called Blackcountry Wench because I'm Black Country born and bred πŸ˜„
-X-

11 comments:

Katrina said...

What wonderful and interesting photos Maggie, really enjoyed seeing them. Thank you for sharing, have a really good week, Katrina

Ruth said...

I really enjoyed reading about this "Living Museum!" Thank you for the photos, and thank you to the children for allowing you to photograph them.

Dee said...

Those little elephants are so cute (and the kids are too). When we lived in Orlando they did lizards (Liz-Art) and alligators (Arty-Gator) around Lake Eola. I don't remember which charity they supported.

In Lakeland they did swans. We enjoyed seeing that one too, especially the one from the electric company. It had various "danger" signs painted on and under the tail was a sign --- "DANGER! Discharge zone!" They were all great!

I enjoyed the photo tour. The village looks like a lot of fun.

butterfly said...

Great Photos , looks like you had fun .
Oh it takes you back in time .
Yes part of my growing up days were in Black heath .
And part of my married life in Halesowen .

I thought the children were back at school now , but no here they are still walking around town ,by the time they go back it will be hafe term .
I worry they have missed so much schooling .

Poppypatchwork said...

Lovely post, so many happy memories, it's sad school is returning, we won't get to see our grandchildren so much. Will starts school today.

Jo said...

What an enjoyable post, you have been busy making the most of the last week of the holidays. I love the trails they have in various cities, I don't think Leeds has had one, or perhaps I just haven't heard about it, I rarely venture into the city centre. What a delicious afternoon tea and how lovely that the children got their own version too. I haven't heard anything about The Leaves of the Trees installation but artwork such as this does make you think, goodness, all those leaves, but it's just a drop in the ocean when you think of how many lives have been lost in the pandemic. What a fabulous setting for it, Stevie-Leigh was so lucky to have her graduation there, quite the occasion I should think. The Living Museum looks like a lot of fun, it's quite worrying though when you get to the age where items in museums are everyday things from your childhood, isn't it, haha. I remember those buses too, and tills like the one in the shop. I hope Bonnie enjoyed her first day at school and that the first week back has gone well for both her and Oliver.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

You've been having some super times out. The pictures are great. Jean

Lowcarb team member said...

This is such a lovely post, I did enjoy it.
A joy to share your photographs, thank you.

I was intrigued by 'The Leaves of The Trees Memorial', I'd not heard of it before, it's a lovely idea.

Have a lovely weekend.

All the best Jan

Barb said...

I always love to see your pictures of the things that I, most likely, will never see in person. What a good time with the children!

Carol said...

You are so lucky to have so much history and so many interesting sights right in your own backyard, Maggie! Love seeing your adventures with your grandchildren and daughter and I do hope to experience a high tea at least once in my lifetime (even though I don't drink tea :). That looks scrumptious and like something to be slowly savored!

Jackie said...

How wonderful to have so many lovely historical places to visit.

I think my favourite elephant is the Snakes and Ladders one.

God bless.