Pages

Thursday 28 April 2022

How does your garden grow

Some of these photos I took a couple of weeks ago when we had lovely sunny weather, today has been the complete opposite of that,  only 10°C, overcast and quite cool, very different to earlier in the month.

The camelia, azalia and acer are well established, they were already here when we moved in and still do well each year




The acer is Mark's favourite but mine is my hosta, it's gets bigger and better every year.  I don't have a problem with slugs as there is a copper band around the pot which does a great job keeping them away.  I did have two but last year we split the other one and I sold on a fair few plants.


I kept only one of those we split and it's grown quite a lot already although I seem to have two varieties in one pot, I'll have to split it again next Spring.


The tulips are still giving some colour, I didn't plant as many last year, of those I did plant only the pink ones came up, that blue container you can see was planted up with a dwarf variety but only two produced anything.



Strawberry plants from last year are coming back, I only put a couple of plants in a hanging basket to see how they would do,


I bought two small pots of herbs from the vegetable section at Aldi a while ago, basil and parsley, they were only 59p, I didn't use them all so planted them and put them outside, they are doing really well, behind those is also mint, chives and rosemary.


The wild flower seeds I planted are doing ok, I probably sowed them too soon really because the weather changed after, I did them so I covered them with bubble wrap for a few weeks at night to protect them.  It's the first time I done these so fingers crossed for some lovely colour.


At our other house we had raspberry bushes all the way down one side of the garden, we only put in one plant but in a few years they had spread that much.  Mark picked this up when we went to the garden centre recently, It would be nice to have fresh raspberries again but I'm keeping it in a pot this time.


Most of the seeds are doing very well, I have an abundance of marigolds, I planted marigolds for the first time last year and I loved how long they lasted, plus the slugs and snails hate them ;-)


More marigolds and lots of poppies


The nasturtiums are ready to go out now really, just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more


The only seeds I sowed that have been a disappointment are the black eyed susan, some failed completely.


Fingers crossed the weather will warm up enough for me to get some things planted out soon, I don't want things left in trays when we go away at the beginning of June.

-X-

11 comments:

Poppypatchwork said...

I've not done any flowers from seed this year, I get either too many or none come up. Our local shop sells strips of plug plants for £1.25, having between 4 and six plants, I pot them on, which means I have a better mixture of bedding plants and very few failures. Your garden is already very colourful.

butterfly said...

Your garden looks fab , you have green fingers .
I have had seeds growing all winter , and now most are out side .
Don't you just love to see them grow .
Enjoy working in your beautiful garden .
Hugs June.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Your garden must be well sheltered as things look weeks ahead of my garden. What a lovely huge Hosta - I once had a collection of different varieties - there are so many - my favourite plant too

Linda P said...

You have a lovely garden and lots of space to grow many plants and shrubs. I love hostas and have been on the look out for the new season's shoots appearing in our garden. Yours are well established and beautiful. Last week I bought a variegated one from the supermarket like yours to add to the ones growing in pots. The night time frost is still a problem so we've been glad of our covered area. I wish you a good weekend.

Barb said...

Your yard and garden look beautiful! We are having a very cool and wet spring so everything is slow and late! My hostas look great! I just hope the horrid nasty hungry deer do not find them!!!! They ate every tulip I planted but not the daffodils so next Fall I will be planting only daffodils.

Sue said...

What a beautiful garden Maggie, I love the colour of the tulips. Nice to see a hosta without slug damage, ours are usually set upon as soon as they start to grow. Sue x

linda said...

Your garden looks beautiful, so much growth already, I can't believe the size of your hostas mine are just beginning to grow now. I have sewn some poppy seeds, sunflower and sweet peas, no sign of the poppies yet but the others are coming through. Have a great weekend. x

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Wow, you're doing so well. I have planted some unusual seeds this year, Okra, Meadowsweet and Chamomile. I'm keeping an eye on them and I can just see one little plant making its way. I have also planted lots of Dahlia tubers. I already have one bed of Dahlias which return every year, which I grew from seed. happy days. x

Lowcarb team member said...

Your garden looks lovely, I always like this time of year when flowers begin to bloom ... just wish it was a few degrees warmer!

Enjoy your weekend and good wishes for the new month of May.

All the best Jan

Miriam said...

I have enjoyed your garden and your plants very much Thank you.
Miriam

Carol said...

Your garden looks like it's actually spring! Ours looks like mid-November we've had so little sun and such cold temperatures. Everything looks lovely, Maggie!