Pages

Monday 9 May 2022

Wildflowers update and a great book

I only started this piece last Saturday but I thought If I posted regular progress updates it would keep me motivated to keep stitching. 
 I've only stitched on it twice during this past week and so far I'm loving all the bright colours.


It's been a lovely few days and I spent Friday afternoon in the garden cutting the grass and doing a general tidy up.  We sowed grass seed on the bare patches and applied fertiliser to the lawn a few weeks ago, we didn't think the seed was taking but after all that rain last week it's now sprouting up, there are still some places it didn't take but we can try again after the next cut.  The fertiliser worked a treat, I've never seen our grass os green!


We had all the bushes along the fence cut right down at the beginning of Spring, they were all tangled and a bit of a mess, they are starting to come back again now but won't flower this year, I'm ok with that, at least we can now try and keep them under control.

I've been struggling with my book choices again lately, nothing I picked up was holding my interest, a search on Goodreads came up with this author, and this book had really good reviews so I ordered it from the library.  I'm always a bit wary of rave reviews but in this instance they were justified.  

Set in Cumbria, The Puppet Show, a is a Police procedural and is the first book in a series with Detective Washington Poe as the main character.   Poe has been on suspension but strings are pulled to bring him back to help in the search for Immolation Man who so far has killed three men in horrific burning rituals.  When they find Poe's name carved into the chest of the third victim they assume he will be number 5.

The book is very well written, not too gory and with a great twisty plot.  The characters are very likable, especially Tilly Bradshaw, the geeky techie, she somehow lightens the story giving the book moments where you can't help but smile. 

I'll definitely be reading the other books in the series.


-X-

6 comments:

Poppypatchwork said...

Your lawn looks brilliant, and the shrubs tidy, I do like cutting things back, keeping control. Thanks for your suggest of the site for books.

linda said...

Your grass looks amazing so green and lush, I'm still waiting for them to come fix my fence before I can really get going in the garden. Thanks for the book review it sounds like a good read.

Jackie said...

Your lawn looks so luscious. The stitching is lovely.

God bless.

MartinaM said...

Very nice little progress, this will make a great pattern.
The book sounds interesting. I like crime stories.
Have a good time, Martina

Lowcarb team member said...

Your lawn is looking wonderful.

Enjoy your book.

All the best Jan

Carol said...

The piece you are stitching is simply lovely, Maggie--such pretty colors! The lawns are especially lush this year, aren't they? We were just commenting on our own this week saying we don't remember it being this green :)