Pages

Sunday 8 January 2023

Book topic

 I joined a book lovers group on fb a few months ago, mainly to get book recommendations but also to connect with people who also share a love of reading and books in general.  However, I've had a change of heart about the group.  Since the New Year some people have been posting their Goodreads 2022 reading challenge results on there, along with what they have set their reading challenge to be for 2023.  I was shocked at all the nasty comments from people, most saying that reading was not a competition and that people were showing off saying how many books they had read and they couldn't understand why anyone would want to keep a record/track of what they read, I even read one comment that said they thought it was inappropriate to put what you're reading challenge was for the coming year as it might offend those that did not read that many books....What!  Some of the things being said were just ridiculous.  I set a challenge for myself every year, It's a personal challenge, It never crossed my mind that someone would think it was showing off.  I also like to keep lists so keeping a list of books I've read is just another list to me.  I just couldn't understand the objections.

Audio books was another topic that got a lot of negative comments, with many people saying that if you listened to audio books it didn't count as reading, neither should it be counted in the number of books you've read!

 I'm just giving you the gist of what was said, some comments where quite nasty and I gave up reading any comments on posts that were about reading challenges, I've since left the group, I can do without those sort of negative feelings.   I think there is a  lot of snobbery associated with books, but does it really matter what anyone else reads?  We are all different and like different things, not everyone will enjoy the same books and people will take different things from the same book, and that's ok.

All that made me wonder if I should do an end of year book post, but then I thought, why shouldn't I?  I like seeing what other people have been reading, there may be something hasn't been on my radar, plus this blog is about my life and hobbies, reading and books are a big part of my life, so, here are my end of year reading stats.

My views on audio books are the complete opposite to that person on the fb group. Studies have been carried out and the findings were that there is no significant difference in comprehension between reading and listening.  I can visualize the scene whether I'm reading a physical book or listening to an audio book, for me there is no difference, infact, in some cases an audio book may be better than the physical equivalent as a good narrator will bring interest, enthusiasm and atmosphere to the story.

It took me a long time to get into audio books but for the last couple of years I almost always have one on the go alongside a physical book.  I listen while I'm walking, doing chores or while I'm crafting, I spend a lot of time on my own so they fill the silence at times.   Granted some are better than others, the narration has to be good otherwise it will spoil a good book.

My total for audio books in 2022 was 24

The best by far was Lesson in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus.  Wonderful writing, sad and funny and great narration

The best series was the Middle Fall Time Travel series by Shaun Inmon.  There are 17 books in this series and I've finished 8 so far.  They are good escapism.

I think The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was the most overrated, I was expecting good things and it didn't deliver



I've been making more use of my local library recently too and read 13 library books in 2022.

The best of these are the Detective Washington Poe series by M.W Craven, extremely well researched and written.  (If you read any of his books make sure to read the about the book section at the end)





I read 6 books from my shelves.

Really enjoyed The Woman in the Window and The Child, The Animals at Lockwood Manor was really boring and the most overrated, in my opinion was Where The Crawdads Sing.
 

This last selection were my Reading Group books, there were others but they were ones I'd already read so chose not to re-read them.  As a group we are all agreed that the book choice this year haven't been great,
The most disliked book was Normal People, I was the only one that liked it but I do think its a book that would probably mean more if it were read more than once.  I really didn't like The Gustav Sonata although lots of others liked it and strangely the book that none of us enjoyed at all, All Among The Barley was the one that sparked the most discussion.  





My Goodreads challenge for the year was 50 books, I'm happy that I reached that goal.  

According to goodreads that equates to 17,865 pages
My longest book was True Colours by Kristen Hannah with 544 pages
My shortest book was A Bachelor Establishment with 206 pages

Of the books I read, the most shelved on Goodreads was Where the Crawdads Sing,  which was shelved 3,942,045 times

The least shelved book, of my books, was A Christmas Carol, 11 times.

The highest rated (star rating) on Goodreads was A Christmas Carol

The average rating I gave to books in 2022 was 3.3 stars 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lessons in Chemistry I think was the best book for me last year,  I will continue to read the Washington Poe series as he releases them, they are so well written, and I will carry on with the Middle Falls Time Travel books, they are easy listening and entertaining.

I can't remember a time when I haven't read, from when I was very small I can remember having a book with me, but it's not only reading I love, I love books, the smell, the feel even just flicking through pages, there is just something about them that brings me joy.  As a child I would spend hours in our local library and as an adult there is nothing better than finding a new book shop to explore.

So what about you?  what books do you enjoy?  Do you think it's cheating to count audio books in the number of books read? Do you also like to keep count?

-X-

23 comments:

Debi said...

Thank you for sharing your reads for 2022. I don't understand all the negativity and nastiness either. I occasionally post books that I read or want to read on Goodreads too. I do it because my daughter and a good friend post their and they often read books I would enjoy. But I'm not a consistent poster. Like you, I like to keep a hand written list. I'm going to check out some of your recommendations... so thanks again!

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done on your reading and thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I've always got a book on the go, but don't set myself any reading goals, just pick it up and read it when I have time ...

Enjoy your reading and listening in 2023.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

I am currently reading Lessons in Chemistry and enjoying it.
I guess there are competitive people in all groups and people who find a way to be offended. Just do what you enjoy. Or form a group with your friends.
I find nothing wrong in listening to audio books but do not consider it to be reading. You read with your eyes and listen with your ears. Just don't understand how it is considered reading. Not bashing you, just giving my viewpoint.
One things for sure, there is nothing better than a great book to savor!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I like the idea of your lists. It gives me suggestions as to what to read. I don't use audio books, but I think they would count if I were to use them.
Love your blog very interesting Robyn, Sydney Australia

Ann said...

Thanks for sharing your reading list and goals. We read somewhat similar books. I've loved books since I was small and that's continued on, I always have a book or two on the go and have started listening to audiobooks, while on my way to work.

Dee said...

I have always been a reader. I've slowed down a lot since a couple of years ago, but I still almost always have *something* to read in the evening. Sometimes it might just be a magazine, but still reading.

I haven't kept track before, but everyone's lists made me curious. How many books DO I read in a year? Maybe this year I'll know. LOL

I cannot imagine getting your knickers all in a twist because someone read more books that you OR they listened to audio books. No, I don't think of audio books as reading, but I certainly wouldn't judge others for how they list their books. It all comes back to YOU DO YOU, Bunky!

So far, I've read one book in 2023. It was a fluff book. It was fun. I'll be starting book 2 tonight.

Congrats on all your reading. Wishing you an even better year this year.

MartinaM said...

Thanks for the great and informative post, reading is something special for everyone and yet so different. Everyone likes different topics and for some it's exciting, for others it's boring, everyone has to decide for themselves. I find it amazing to read so many books in a year.
Lately I've loved listening to audiobooks, especially in the afternoons when I can do crafts on the side. But even with audio books, I think it's important that you not only like the topic, but also the narrator. If they're bad, no matter how good the story is, it won't work.
I hope you continue to enjoy books and audio books.
Hugs, Martina

Sue in Suffolk said...

Facebook is such a weird place. People seem to think they can say anything and it doesn't matter.

Love to see a good book list on a blog even if they are not the sort of books I normally read - never know what interesting ideas might be found.

I've not read many the same as you except for Crawdads and agree it was over hyped.

I read 117 books last year, mostly crime fiction - not a boast - just fact!

Poppypatchwork said...

Thank you for this post, we have read some of the same books, and there are a few titles which I will add to my reading list. There is alot of snobbery around reading, I have joined and left reading groups for the same reasons as you. These days everyone wants to air their opinion, and often write as if theirs's is the only way.

butterfly said...

I love to read for a little before I go to sleep , I only read about 6 to 10 books a year now. I only read light books I pick up from the garden shop.
I still have boxes of good books that self help you in different areas of life .
Have fun with your reading hugs June.

Jo said...

I always enjoy hearing what other people have read, be it a list of over 100 books, or the odd one or two, what does it matter? Can you believe I've never listened to an audio book, though if I did I wouldn't count that as reading myself, it's more listening, but it's up to the individual what they choose to count, isn't it? Honestly, some people don't have anything better to do with their lives than pick fault with other people! I think I've only read five of the books you have on your list, though Where the Crawdads Sing was my favourite book of 2021. I only picked it up because I'd heard all the hype about it and nearly didn't bother but I loved it. As you say, we're all different and like different things, I think a book such as this shows that, it's had rave reviews and yet I've heard lots of people say they didn't enjoy it. I set myself the challenge of reading some classics last year and honestly, I just can't see why some of them have stood the test of time but that's just my opinion. Reading is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, not a competition, so let's all just read what we enjoy, the amount we want and count whatever we want to in our totals, if indeed we decide to keep a count at all, haha.

Carin said...

Thank you for sharing your booklist and don't listen to other people who say otherwise. I'm posting my booklist many years now, I started it in 2010.
Just because I want to see for my own what I read and later on I heard from people they loved seeing what I read and they find titles of books they didn't know.
The audio books I count in the same line as my paper books, so I make no differents between them.

Robin said...

Fantastic post! I agree, why do people have to be such negaholics! I do the Goodreads Challenge to challenge MYSELF. And I keep up with Goodreads so I can share titles with other....because after all, I forget what I have read sometimes and I certainly forget the ones I want to read. Thank you for sharing your reading and I agree, long rides to and from as perfect for audio books. Thank you for sharing your booklist. I may find some new books to add to my list. I think my next post may be my 2022 reading list! Have a happy day and READ ON!

meandmysmallcorner said...

I'm really sorry to here about all the negativity that has happened for you from the simple pleasure of reading and wanting to share that love with others. It is always interesting to see what others have read, whether your tastes are the same or different. Personally I have not used any audio books but I don't think they lessen the potential enjoyability of a story. Wishing you a happy reading year in whatever form you like.

caslass said...

Hi Maggie during my working life as a librarian I ran several reading groups all of which were very different dependant on the people in the group The one constant factor was that if everyone had enjoyed a book there was nothing to talk about! One group I ran had a blind member who used audio books if the RNIB didn't have a Braille copy he could borrow and the one thing that can make or break your enjoyment is the reader.

Gill - That British Woman said...

you read a lovely assortment of books there. I hope to read 30 at least this year.

Miriam said...

A late Happy New Year and compliments for your last posts that I lost to read :-) .
I like to read your book list .
Ciao,
Miriam from Italy

Jackie said...

I love book posts as it gives me lots of ideas on what others like and ideas to add to my list.

People can be so rude. I don't join any reading groups anymore because of this.

Got lots of reading ideas from this post.

God bless.

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

Thank you so much for all these recommendations.

It's terribly unfortunate people can run a good thing like talking about books.

I only got into audio books this last few months - I've found memoirs work well for me with listening vs reading. So now I too also have physical book on the go and an audio book.

Carol said...

As a former librarian, of course I enjoyed reading this post, Maggie! I'm shocked at all the negative comments on that group--shame on them! It's getting so no one can say anything without being torn down in some way.

As for me--I LOVE audio books and find it a wonderful way to combine cooking, stitching, finishing, cleaning with reading. I actually think I retain the audio books better than the written word. I tend to read a physical book right before I fall asleep so I seem to associate reading with sleeping--hence, I get a lot more audiobooks "read" than I do print books.

I read 58 this year--and yes, that includes both forms of books. I'm not competing with anyone, but I do keep track of the titles as I am getting old and just can't remember what I've read or not :)

Shrimpton and Perfect said...




































I value book recommendations and I've discovered many an author through blog world. Ignore the negative folk and carry on as before, which I know you will. Showing off? how ludicrous.
Jean












Chris said...

We have a similar taste in books I too loved Lessons in Chemistry and the Seven Deaths oF Evelyn Hardcastle was our book group read and I got to page 78 and then gave up. Another thing people pass comment on are Kindles I love mine, easy to hold, light and I can enlarge the font for my eyes at night in bed and since my arm injury a real blessing.

My Creative Life said...

I love library books, I keep lists of books that I've read. I'm doing the Agatha Christie 2023 challenge this year, I joined late for last years and enjoyed it. Audio books definitely count, so useful if the book is dull, or you're cooking, crafting or cooking. I've just started a book club in the village. I don't know anybody here though I've met 3 ladies briefly. Need to bake lots of cakes for Monday. Cathy x