Pages

Monday 3 July 2023

A productive June

June went by so quickly, how can we be halfway through the year already!  It's definitely an age thing, the older you get, the faster time seems to go!   I do try and make the most of my time each day, and this month as well as the things I was working on, I've also tried to get some of those languishing  projects fully finished.

Firstly, the things I started and finished in June.

My first attempt at lace knitting in a sock.  These are the Rosie Lee socks by Twinset & Purl.
I really enjoyed knitting these, they seemed to knit up quite quickly too, probably because the lace section made knitting more interesting.
  The yarn is Lace Hankies by Lay Family Yarn
My second pair of socks for the month, I know! I was on a roll, lol. My first pair of trainer socks.
I didn't follow a pattern for these, I knit 12 rounds of ribbing and 10 rounds before doing the heel and then my normal length for the foot.


You will notice that they are not 'twins' they are not even 'sisters', more like 'cousins' 😀
I have no idea why the yarn behaved so differently on each sock!
I still love them and no one will know what's inside my trainers 😉  
The yarn is from Mr & Mrs Rabbit, who no longer dye yarn, which is a shame because they did the most beautiful colourways, unfortunately I misplaced the ball band so don't know this colourway.

My next finish is something you haven't seen in progress, It's the Trescao Jumper by Along Aven Anna
I actually finished this in April, but then realised I didn't like the garter stitch hem and cuff, so I pulled those out and re-knit them in 1x1 rib.


Obviously too warm to wear at the moment but it will do nicely for Autumn and Winter.

My last knitting finish is also something I started a while ago, it's a cardigan for Bonnie and it has been waiting for quite a while for me to sew up the sleeves and put buttons on.  Good job I made a larger size!


The yarn is James C. Brett Stonewash.

I have one sewing finish for June.  You may remember that when I took Bonnie to the craft show at the NEC in March she chose a pattern for me to make her a bag, along with the fabric, and here it is.


This came out way better than I expected, the only fiddly part was the top stitching around the top edge.  It was supposed to be a little present to go in her birthday bag but she saw it when she came round one time and wanted to take it home.   My daughter has asked if I will make another one for Bonnie's friends birthday this month, there is plenty fabric left to make another one, I just have to buy some webbing for the handle, so that will be a little project for July.

And last but not least, I had two cross stitch finishes in June.

The first one is another Autumn pillow.  Love how this turned out!  I used the called for threads with the exception of the border which should have been black and I switched to a dark grey.

Pumpkin Spice Everything by The Scarlett House


My second cross stitch finish is my Stick6in2023 piece.  
For the months of May and June the number 3 was generated, and for me that happened to be the number I had allocated to another Autumn chart, Pumpkin Hollow by Little House Needleworks


I chose to only stitch the top half of the chart because I wanted it to fit onto this wooden pumpkin blanc I bought from Hobbycraft a couple of years ago.  I dry brushed the blanc with some paint from a match pot and I think It came out cute!

That's all my finishes for June, not too bad considering It's been a busy month.

The weather has been mostly good and everything in the garden has shot up, it's been keeping me busy watering, dead heading and generally keeping it tidy.  The roses have been lovely, the first blooms have just about gone now but there are some second ones appearing and, I had my first poppy, just one, lol.  I've had this poppy plant for about three years and this is the first flower it's produced, I've left the seed head hoping that I can harvest the seeds to plant more
We also finished decorating our bedroom this month,  it took a while because Mark only has the weekends to do anything.  Mark panelled one wall and put in wall lights and we had a guy come and spray our wardrobe and bedside tables.  We also had new carpet and blinds and I'm over the moon with the result, It's so light and airy I can't wait to go to bed at night, lol.

I've taken the boys out a couple of times for tea and went strawberry picking with Joanne and these two rascals.

I think the ate their fill of strawberries while we were picking! I made jam with my haul and for a first attempt it came out pretty good, so I've been told.

I've continued my weight loss through June, I'm now 18lb's down, still jotting down everything I eat through the day and keeping track of calories, it's just become something I do now, and It's working.  I haven't eaten any cake, chocolate or sweets since April and I have to say I haven't missed any of those things at all, I eat almost everything else, just count the calories, calorie deficit works, who knew! 

My plans for July - The number 1 has been generated by Martina for Stick6in2023, this will be our project to work on during the months of July and August, I made a start on my choice on Saturday.
I'll pick another stitching project to work on and rotate them each week, that worked for me in the past so I need to get back to doing it that way.
More decorating is on the agenda, we are re-doing the smallest bedroom
there's not so much work to do in there, the radiator has to be changed but as far as decorating goes it's just a matter of painting, so should be a quicker process.

If July is as busy as June was I probably won't post again until the end of the month but hopefully there will be more finishes to share 😁

Have a great month!

-X-

13 comments:

MartinaM said...

Your socks look wonderful, I really like the pattern and the wool.
Your sneakers are cute and so great how the pattern develops in the colors.
I also like your sweater very much, a great basic part, so you can wear it for many days. And you did a good job on the cardigan for Bonnie, I like the colour.
I love both of your fall designs, so you have two more great fall decorations.
I'm glad that your variant of losing weight works well. I too have lost weight, do without sweets, eat normally during the day and almost nothing from the afternoon onwards, maybe fruit in the evening, or sometimes natural yoghurt. And it works, I got used to it and it works.
I wish you a wonderful time,
Martina

Poppypatchwork said...

It is lovely to get things finished, and your June tally is brilliant, Bonnie looks delighted with her new bag. Your grandchildren like ours are growing up so quickly, but as you say time does fly by. So much colour in your garden, it's a feast for your eyes and reward for all the work you put into the garden. Weight loss is brilliant as well, I am still struggling with mine.
Enjoy your new bedroom, it should be a peaceful place to rest.

Jo said...

Wow! So many finishes, and all so lovely. I like the jumper, that's a style I'd wear. I've been wondering about starting a garment for myself but I have to admit that I do prefer knitting smaller things. I love Bonnie's bag and she looks very pleased with it. She looks so grown up in that photo. Well done on the weight loss, I find it much harder to shift weight now I'm older, it doesn't want to budge. Enjoy July and good luck with your plans.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a lovely post, full of good things :)

I do like your trainer socks, love the colours.
The cardigan you made for Bonnie looks great.

Your garden is looking good, very colourful.
We had some very welcome rain today.

Well done on your weight loss.

Enjoy this new month of July.

All the best Jan

Sue said...

Such a lot achieved For June Maggie, you have been busy. Love the lacey socks, never dared to knit any other than plain ones and the jumper will be lovely for Autumn. Love the Autumn finishes and Bonnie looks so pleased with her bag. Well done on the weight loss, you're doing so well and a lovely new bedroom to enjoy. Take care, Sue x

butterfly said...

Lovely post . lots of goodies finished ,love all the knitting and the two cross stitch.
Your family are growing up fast and look like they are having a great time .
Love the garden photos.
The only diet that worked for me was to hafe everything I eat , and it worked I am down to 8 1/2 stone . I just can't eat big meals now , but can eat every thing I want but smaller portions , I feel much better for it and I can wear lots more of my cloths .
Have a lovely week hugs June.

Manuela said...

Hello Maggie,
you were very busy in June. Your socks with the lace pattern looks great.
Sneakers are so good for the summer days.
The Sweater and the cardigan looks great.
I like your two autumn stitches.
Have a nice week. Manuela

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Time does fly, but goodness me you have been very busy and wonderfully productive, whilst losing loads of weight as well. You put me to shame, ha ha. I'm just on the cusp of finishing a jumper I have been making since january I think and because of your lovely sock knitting I have bought some sock yarn too. Let's see how that works out.

Carol said...

What a wonderful, newsy post, Maggie! You certainly were busy this month and have so many wonderful finishes to show for it. Your sweaters are lovely and the little pumpkin themed stitchings are so sweet. Love both finishes! And what pretty flowers--you obviously have a green thumb :)

Redoing a room is always so satisfying... we are planning on redoing another of our guest rooms (one of my sons' old rooms) this year. It's just a matter of getting everything cleared out and the room painted. I am anxious to pare things down and just have less in there.

Great job on your weight loss journey! Keep up the great work. Loved seeing your sweet grandkids with those big smiles. They are adorable. Enjoy July ♥

Sandy said...

WOW!!! You really got a lot done in June. Good for you. The lace socks are very pretty. Cute cute cross stitch. The purse turned out really nice, and I can see she's thrilled with it. Gorgeous flowers, and it looks like the kiddos were having a good time.

Shelly said...

Wonderful finishes! Your garden is beautiful. So do we get to see pictures of your bedroom? I'd be excited to go to bed too if I could redo my bedroom. I may be taking care of that within a year if all goes right. Happy stitching!

Jackie said...

What awesome finishes. I only managed to finish off a knitted blanket and another 22 mitts.

I really like the rib on the finished jumper.

God bless.

Dee said...

Wow! You had a VERY productive June.

I love that pumpkin spice pillow. That is awesome.

Congrats on the weight loss. I have such a hard time resisting sweets. But, I really need to do that.