Pages

Sunday 23 July 2023

Not the holiday you would want.

This sewing box was a car boot find quite some years ago, I remember mum being with me at the time and buying it for me.   I've wanted to do something with it for a long time and last week It was a job I finally got round to.





I think It came out pretty good and hopefully I can make more use of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of you will have seen or heard the news about the wild fires on the Greek Island of Rhodes.  Unfortunately my eldest daughter, Jenny, James and the boys flew out to Rhodes on holiday last Wednesday and their hotel is in the middle of all this chaos! 
Naturally I've been worried sick, but they have been evacuated to a sports hall in the north of the Island and are safe, thank goodness.   James has just texted me to say they are now being transferred to a hotel somewhere in the north.  They had to leave their luggage at their hotel so don't have much with them, I suppose If it's at all possible luggage will be transferred to the new destination, but some roads are still closed, a hotel close to the one they were in has burnt down!

Jenny said the locals and volunteers have been absolutely amazing bringing food, drinks and toiletries and even offering to put holidaymakers up in their own houses, Jenny has had two very kind people offering to take them in, she did decline both but only because she thought it best to stay where they would get updates on goings on.   They were only going for a week but I know they will be glad to be on their way home as soon as possible now, and I'll be glad when they are all back safe and sound.

Thinking about all the holiday makers and people who live on Rhodes today 💔

-X-

12 comments:

Carol said...

What a nice update you've given the sewing box, Maggie! Love it painted in white and the blue and white interior is simply perfect. How scary for your daughter's family. I can't imagine being in a foreign country while a natural disaster like that is unfolding. I'm sure you're counting the days until they return to England. Take care now ♥

Dee said...

I saw photos on the news. Scary. Sending good wishes that your daughter and her family remain safe and have an easy travel home.

On a lighter note, your sewing box came out beautifully.

Jackie said...

Nicely done on the sewing basket. It looks lovely.

How scary for your daughter and family. I hope that they manage to get home very soon.

God bless.

Lowcarb team member said...

I think your sewing box looks beautiful - well done.

We have been watching the news about Rhodes - very scary.
I do hope your daughter and family get home safely soon.

All the best Jan

Sue said...

Love the sewing box, the fabric inside really sets it off. Horrible about the wild fires and must be so scary for you daughter and family. I hope that they are safely back home soon x

Poppypatchwork said...

I love the new look for your sewing box, I have never owned one in that style, I use a huge mans plastic tool box, for all my stash.
Hope the family all get back OK, looks really bad over there, so many are losing their homes.

butterfly said...

Love the sewing box , it's looking beautiful .
I do hope every thing goes well for your Family.
A few years ago our holiday company went bust and we were stranded with many thousands of people , no information is the worst part . We were safe and bless the hotel let us stay untill we got a flight , but others were not so lucky , then Boris put on a few planes to get us back bless him , and that was another story with people fighting for a seat.
Enjoy your week , I am sure your family will be well looked after and be back home safe soon.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

thank goodness your family are all safe. i hope the fires are all under control soon and everyone is safe from them.

MartinaM said...

A great sewing box, so beautifully remodeled.
Oh my that is bad news, I hope your daughter and family get back safely from Rhodes. This will be a holiday that will be remembered for a long time.
Let's hope for the people who live there that they all get through it well.
Martina

Miriam said...

Hopefully it will be good for all there.
I have a similar sewing box, only mine hasn’t the feet down.
Have a nice afternoon,
Miriam

Lowcarb team member said...

I do hope your daughter and family are now safely back home.

All the best Jan

Jo said...

I hope Jenny and her family are back home safe by now. I've been watching the updates on the news, it's so sad for all those people in Rhodes, and the same thing's happening on Corfu now too, dreadful.