Pages

Sunday 24 September 2023

Full on Autumn

The weather has taken a turn after all that sunny weather of a few weeks ago, it is now feels well and truly like Autumn.  I absolutely love this time of year, well, except for the rain that is, but on Saturday the weather stayed dry and sunny for our visit to the Autumn Show at the Three Counties Show Ground in Malvern.  This is the second year we have visited the show and we enjoyed it as much as we did our first visit.

The vintage caravans were there once again, In smaller numbers I think this year, but they were still lovely to see and all look so cosy inside.  This one even had a bow window with leaded panes,
One of the things I love seeing is all the giant vegetables, although this year must not have been such a good year for growing pumpkins as the winning ones weren't as big as last years winner.  Still impressive nonetheless.

Will you look at the size of the winning marrow! 70.7kg.
That's 155 lb or 11st 13lb
I've no idea if they grow these especially for these shows or if they are a fluke, either way that's a monster of a marrow!


The winning flowers, I do love a dahlia, but again, not as many on show as last year
There were all the same sorts of traders as last year as well as gardening talks cooking demos and stalls selling a variety of items, garden related, gifts and clothes too.  The tickets are not cheap, (£20 if you pay in advance, £25 on the day) but It Is a whole day out and there is a lot to see, so good value I suppose.

While we were in the middle of the heatwave at the beginning of September I couldn't wait to create my own little Autumn celebration in a tiered tray.   My first attempt at this and I'm rather pleased with it.  I've included some close ups of the pillows, Pumpkin Spice Everything and Welcome Autumn were finishes from this year, Pumpkin Spice Farm Is a finish from a few year ago.





Dream by Cottage Garden Samplings and Quaker Pumpkins drum sit on my mantle in the sitting room


This time next week will be October 1st, honestly, where does the time go? 
It's going to be a busy last week of the month but hopefully I will be back next week with everything I've managed to make in September.

Have a good week all
-X-

12 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous vegetable at the show and I do like your 'Autumn celebration in a tiered tray'.

Enjoy this last week of September.

All the best Jan

Jackie said...

What awesomely large (okay gigantic) veggies. I have never seen some of those that big before. Wonder if they taste okay.

God bless.

Dee said...

How cute is the inside of that caravan (travel trailer to us in the U.S.)? I would love spending some time in that by a quiet riverside campsite.

Your stitching finishes are beautiful! I especially love your Quaker drum.

Poppypatchwork said...

Your display is lovely, you have so many beautiful seasonal cross stitches, they are again lovely. It's not my favourite time of year as I am spending less time outside in our garden. But I am looking out crafting projects I want to do, so there is always something to look forward to.

Carin said...

What a great mshow, those big pumpkins.
Love your cross stitch pieces

Chris said...

Wow those were some veggies, what a size.. and I love your xstitch, I had some lovely Autumn ones myself but have given them all away, the joy was in the stitching! Yes Autumn has arrived here too, and its lovely day today.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...


We didn't go to the Malvern show this time as we went to the Gardener's World one in June. Those veg are enormous but I'm not sure how good they would taste.
Your Autumn cross stitching is lovely and looks really good as a display.
Take care in your busy last week of September.
B x

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I really enjoy a good country show, thank you for sharing your day out. Your cross stiched pieces look fab, its great to display them too.

Carol said...

Love the way your fall tiered tray turned out, Maggie, and that Quaker drum looks just perfect sitting by your Dream framed finish. I really do need to buckle down and stitch that one :)

Amazing sights at the show--those giant vegetables are truly impressive! Enjoy the last bit of September ♥

MartinaM said...

What a great trip, and oh how huge the pumpkins look. Great. Thank you for showing me.
Your autumn motifs are wonderful, I really like them. Such a beautiful decoration.
Enjoy the rest of September

Jo said...

Those veggies are huge aren't they, very impressive. Love your autumn display, though I have to admit that I'm sad to see summer end. I'm not a fan of the cold months ahead.

Sandy said...

Cute xstitch projects for the season. Wow, those veggies are impressive. The old caravans look interesting. Nice you had good weather to enjoy your outdoor fair. Afraid our nice weather is gone.......booooooooooo. I so hate see the end of summer. Dislike it getting cold, shorter days, loss of colors in that the flowers are all gone. Not my favorite time of the year, so I'll give you my fair share so you can enjoy it doubly.