Pages

Thursday 28 December 2023

Well that was something different :-)

 Yesterday was my birthday and one of the gifts from my girls was a Bake Off experience.

Now I have only every watched one series of  Bake Off, I don't like cooking shows in general so when they told me we were going to be partaking in a Bake Off I was a bit dubious, as it turned out it was good fun 😁

The tent was set out as in the show and all the ingredients for the cake we were making was set out together with instructions.  We were on a time limit, just as the contestants of the show are, which I have to say is a bit nerve wracking, even though ours was for fun, you can imagine how the real contestants are put under pressure.


Our instructions were to make a three tier cake with meringue buttercream icing, a white chocolate Iglu, plus figures to sit in the Iglu.  I had never made meringue buttercream or any form made from chocolate, but the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. 

I teamed up with Joanne and Stevie and Jenny paired up, this Is the cake Joanne and myself made.


And a closer look at our figures, which Joanne made, I think she did a great job with them!

Our sponge was almond flavour with salted caramel flavour frosting tinged with blue colouring, coconut for snow and silver balls


Here is Jenny and Stevie's creation.



Their sponge was flavoured with almond and the buttercream with black cherry and decorated with coconut for snow and flaked almonds.

Time for the judging by the head baker,


We all had to carry our cakes to the front, just like the show, they are not allowed to taste so the cakes were judged on appearance and decoration.  So now would you like to know who won?

Well the winner was actually really good but then she revealed that two of the bakers were actually sort of semi pro, one of them worked at the place and another worked at a bakery, there were four in their team too.   I didn't get a photo of it but It's the cake on the back row, second in from the left.  Love how they did two tone buttercream.

BUT....Mine and Joanne's cake was awarded 2nd place
Stevie and Jenny were awarded 3rd place.

I'm very happy with that result 😁

I had lots of other lovely presents, including this one from my good friend Jo


Jo also gifted me these gorgeous goodies for Christmas.


Thank you so much Jo, I love everything 😍  
I've been wanting some stitch stoppers for a while and can't wait to put these into use.

Today I'm doing very little, I've stitched a bit, caught up with Call The Midwife and had some home made soup for lunch, the first proper meal I've eaten since Christmas Day, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been fueled by chocolate, mince pies and left overs in the last few days, ha ha.  I promised myself that I would go for some long walks to compensate, but the weather has been atrocious, the wind if fierce and the rain none stop and as much as I would like to get out I'm averse to getting wet and wind- swept, lol.

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and enjoying these days in-between doing whatever it is you want to do.

-X-

19 comments:

Sandy said...

That sounds like lots of fun. And second place is wonderful. I am going to have to do a few walks here as well. I have put all the sweets away as of last night.

Poppypatchwork said...

Happy belated birthday, your baking session sounds fun, I can bake but I'm not good at decorations, the weather here is terrible as well.

butterfly said...

Congrats to you all with the cakes.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY .
Lovely gifts from Jo.
Happy New Year. Hugs June.

Debi said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like is was a very nice one. I love your cakes you ladies did and amazing job!

crafty cat corner said...

I have never heard of merigue buttercream, must look that one up.
I think that was a really lovely gift and your cake was fabulous.
well done
Briony
x

Erica said...

Congrats on your baking accomplishment! I cannot even imagine creating something like that! That was a very nice gift, and very different and imaginative!

linda said...

Belated Happy Birthday and what great gifts. Congratulations what a great idea for a gift I think you did very well the cakes look amazing. x

Chris said...

What a different present.. well done on your 2nd place, looked really good.

Carol said...

What a fun experience, Maggie! I've always admired your cakes so I'm not at all surprised you placed so highly! They are very cute and what a great day to spend with your daughters. Your weather sounds like ours--just awful except for a bit of sun on Christmas Day. I really missed seeing the snow this year! Hard to believe I'm actually saying that :) Wishing you all the best in 2024 ♥

Lyndsey said...

Happy birthday. The bake off experience looks like a fun present and well done on getting second and third places. The cakes look delicious.

Heritage Hall said...

A blessed Birthday, Maggie. I am not surprised that you gals walked away with top prizes... your igloos are so charming.
What a wonderful idea in the gift-giving dept....

Lowcarb team member said...

Happy belated birthday wishes.

That sounds fun and the cakes look brilliant.
Lovely gifts from Jo.

Taking the opportunity to wish you and yours a happy New Year.

All the best Jan

MartinaM said...

What a great event, and congratulations on your placings.
I wish you a happy new year.
Martina

Sue said...

Happy Birthday and what a lovely present you had. A well deserved 2nd prize, the cake looked so good. We're still eating mince pies too, daren't step on the scales x

Manuela said...

Happy Birthday to you.
Beautiful gifts from your friends. The cakes look great.
I wish you a Happy New Year.
Manuela

Jo said...

That sounds like such a fun birthday gift, something totally different. You all did so well with your cakes, they look fabulous. Glad you enjoyed your birthday and like the gifts I sent, I thought those needle stoppers were so cute.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Sorry to have missed your birthday Maggie. I'm a December babe too, though not as close to Christmas as you are. Your Bake Off day looked amazing and you came second, congrats, you must have been super proud. And you have lots of fab treats to see you through the next few weeks, all rather lovely.

Jackie said...

Just catching up with everyone now. Wow, that would have been a lovely way to spend a birthday. You got lovely gifts as well.

God bless.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Happy belated birthday, Maggie. Looks like you had fun with those cakes and well done for getting 2nd and 3rd places.