Pages

Thursday 9 December 2021

Yarn Advents

 I was rather greedy last year and had four yarn advents.  Three of them I purchased and one was a swap with my lovely friend Jo.  A lot of yarn dyers seemed to put their advents up for sale very early in the year this time and I just wasn't ready to think about Christmas in March.  Yarn advents have also got very expensive this year, I'm not saying that the price isn't justified, there is a lot of  planning and hard work involved in putting them together and they do have to put together multiple Advent boxes.  One of he reasons I didn't buy one this year is because I've tried to be a bit more mindful of what craft supplies I've bought all year.  There are only so many things you can use at a time and I no longer see the sense in having a large stash of things that I won't get around to using, must be an age thing, ha ha.

It's still lovely to have something to open leading up to Christmas though, so I made my own. Throughout the year I bought mini skeins when I've seen some I've liked and put them away unopened.  When Oliver came for a sleep over last time I gave him the job of putting together my Advent for me, It did cost me more in sweets as it was a case of one in the bag, one for Oliver, lol  But he did a great job and enjoyed doing it too.

I've been doing a yarn Advent swap with Jo for a few years now, (is this the third year Jo?)  I do look forward to this because it is more personal, and I love putting things together for Jo in return.  Look at the lovely box of goodies Jo sent me :-)

There was also a box in there for my birthday, which is safety hidden until after Boxing day ;-)

Thank you so much Jo, everything looks lovely and I'm really enjoying opening the little packets each day.

Here are my Advents days 1 to 9 from Jo

And here are days 1 to 9 of the one I did myself

And most unusual for me, I haven't had a single chocolate yet!  I'm going to save them up and indulge on Christmas Eve.

As you all know, there has been lots to do and sort out these last few weeks, we have just about got things done now and we will be saying our final goodbyes to mum on Tuesday.  Christmas won't be the same this year that's for sure but, It's been nice to have something to look forward to open of an evening when I finally sit down.

-x-

8 comments:

Jackie said...

What lovely yarn surprises. I think I just might try my own yarn Advent calendar next year. Mind you I need to get through some of this stash mountain I already have.

God bless.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely advent yarns/gifts.

You will be in my thoughts as you say final goodbyes to your mum on Tuesday.
God bless.

All the best Jan

Dee said...

Oliver and Jo did a great job. There are lots of beautiful minis in there and the treats look pretty good too.

My thoughts are with you as you lay your mom to rest.

Jules said...

The advent swap is a lovely idea, and just look at all that yarny goodness. X

Jo said...

I'm so pleased you're enjoying opening your advent surprises each day, I love our little swap, I'm really enjoying opening the surprises you sent to me too. It's the little things in these early days since losing a loved one which are little pick-me-ups so I'm glad you have a little something to look forward to each evening. I'll be thinking of you all on Tuesday xx

Carol said...

I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday, Maggie... so very hard to say those final goodbyes. I love your Advent gifts from Jo--can hardly believe you haven't indulged in chocolate. I am really addicted, I'm afraid. Take care now and I hope Tuesday brings peace to your family ♥

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Advent calendars are a lovely idea but as you say they can be expensive. I like your approach.

My thoughts will be with you and your family on Tuesday.

linda said...

What a great idea to make your own! I love your goodies so far those from Jo are lovely. How can you resist the chocolate? I hope that all goes well on Tuesday, have a nice weekend. xx