Pages

Saturday 2 April 2022

A Friday outing

 I took Arty out for the day yesterday, Jenny spends a lot of time on her own with the boys with James being away during the week, she had a few different errands to run and it's so much easier when you haven't got a toddler in tow.

After the warm sunny days we were celebrating last week mother nature decided she wasn't done with Winter just yet and the temperatures plummeted.  We have had occasional flurries of snow with daytime temperatures or around 6 or 7°C and minus temps at night.  

My granny always said you should never leave your vest off until May, ha, ha.

It was bright and sunny yesterday at least so we went for a walk around Haden Hill park, ( I've posted about Haden Hill before), the cold must have put people off because we virtually had the park to ourselves.  I took a bag of bread to feed the ducks, there are two pools, one near the house and one in the parkland, the ducks couldn't get enough, some even came out of the water to make sure they got their share.



We saw a sign to say the Haden Hill House Museum was open for viewing, I've visited previously but not for many years, entry is free so we decided to go and have a look around.

The Library was Mr Haden Best's domain


This room would have been used as the dining room



The Morning Room where the lady of the house would prepare for the day, write letters do her needlework and have afternoon tea


Love the needlework station 


The Housekeepers Parlor



Upstairs was the Drawing Room, or Withdrawing Room.  After dinner this is where the family and guest would sit and talk, play games and perhaps listen to someone playing the piano.

It look like a lovely cosy room but the chairs don't look as though they would have been very comfortable.





The lady's bedroom



In contrast, the servants bedroom looks very sparse, although I do like the patchwork quilt on the far bed 


The only other room that is open was a play room, children can play with all the toys and the dressing up clothes, Arty would have happily stayed in there all afternoon.


Once we got back to the car the ice cream van had arrived, you can still have an ice cream in the cold when you're three, :-)


We went into town after our walk, I'd promised Arty to take him to feed the squirrels, unfortunately they didn't want to eat out of his hand today, but they did come pretty close and I think he was happy to see one close up.


I think I enjoyed the day just as much as Arty, it was nice to get out in the fresh air.

-X-

13 comments:

Jo said...

What a lovely day out. I love looking round houses and seeing how people lived, though I must admit that it's the servant's quarters and kitchens that appeal to me most, probably because that's where I'd have been had I anything to do with these houses, haha. Nothing wrong with ice-cream in cold weather, though I'm not fond of whippy ice-cream.

Poppypatchwork said...

Just getting out again is so much fun.

Purple Pixie Dust said...

Thanks for the tour, enjoy your time with Arty, I know he will remember his grandma taking him places when he was a child. Have a wonderful weekend. big hugs Lynda Ruth from snowy New Brunswick.

linda said...

What a lovely place to visit, I'm surprised that it's free. Who doesn't like ice cream at any time haha Arty looks as if he's enjoying his, he's so cute! Have a great weekend. Xx

Christine said...

Sounds like a perfect day with your grandson and wasn't the housekeepers room nice. I would have had an ice cream too, it looked lush!

Lyndsey said...

That looks like a fun day out and I love ice cream on a cold day - it doesn't melt all over you before you can eat it.

Heritage Hall said...

Oh Maggie dear, I love to live vicariously through your wonderful excursions with Arty...
Haden Hill was a treat and I assumed the house was large, but they managed to make it seem cozy. Loved the morning room, especially the needlework corner... No entrance fee? Bless whomever makes that possible. The piece de resistance is that playroom where Arty could discover so many childhood aspects of that period. I would imagine a room like that, filled with period"accessories" for adults. would be fun. Bless you..I was there with you...

Jackie said...

How wonderful that you got to spend a day with Arty. It looks as if you both had a wonderful time. That squirrel did get pretty close.

God bless.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a lovely day out, I enjoyed seeing your photographs.
I particularly like the one with Arty and his ice-cream, "you can still have an ice cream in the cold when you're three".
Our two eldest grandchildren visited this weekend and it wasn't warm on Saturday morning but out and about they enjoyed some ice cream cones :)
Brrr not for me, I prefer a nice warming cuppa ...

Happy April Wishes.

All the best Jan

Linda P said...

Days out together must be fun for your grandson. It's the simple things like going for a walk in the park and playing with toys in the museum that's remembered. You're also showing Arty interesting surroundings on your walks. I'm sure he loved feeding the ducks and observing the squirrels. Child-care helps your daughter get things done more easily too. Satisfying for everyone. Have a lovely week.

butterfly said...

What a great day out .
I use to love going out for the day with our Grandchildren .
All grown up now , enjoy every moment.

Barb said...

What a beautiful house and a fun day out with your grand son!

Carol said...

Such a lovely day out with Arty! He sure is growing up quickly! Love the beautiful pretty mansion with the elegant furnishings. The needlework stand is so sweet, too. Thanks for sharing!