Pages

Friday 8 April 2022

Two from February

 I forgot to take photos of the socks and the stitching I completed in February, better late than never eh.

 The socks have been sitting on the blockers since I finished them but I've put them on tonight as it's gone a bit nippy.


These were always going to be house socks, I wanted them slouchy, I think I ticked that box.
I think the yarn is a Paint Box one, I lost the ball band so not certain.

Whenever I see people knitting socks they always seem to knit 64 or 68 stitches, these are 72 stitches on 2.5mm needle.  Now, either I have a very large foot, although I don't think shoe size 7 Is that big, or I knit very tight, but I wouldn't say these were particularly big on me.  If you are a sock knitter what would you cast on for size 7 shoe? and what size needle do you use?  


My stitching finish was a Lizzie Kate, chart,  Dear Santa We've got Cookies.


A fairly quick stitch, although I'm not sure how to finish it now it's done.

I've had a pottering around day today, I sorted and tidied the cupboard where I keep all my threads, fabric and other bits and bobs.  Some stuff ended up in the charity bag and a few things put on one side to list on ebay.  I should have taken a before photo, I didn't think but trust me, it looks way better than it did.

knitting and crochet notions on the top shelf
Buttons on the middle shelf
Threads and some finishings aids on the third shelf


More threads on bobbins on the forth shelf
Fabric and a few finished pieces waiting to be framed on the fifth shelf
Ribbons and trims and some Christmas themed finishing items on the six shelf


At one time my aim was to have all my craft supplies in this one cupboard, ha, ha, we all know how well that went! There is a Kalax unit by the side of this which is also full of craft related things, It too needs a good sort through, I will show you when I tackle that.

-X-

14 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

I think your socks look great.
Comfortable, slouchy and such a great colour.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Jackie said...

Love your socks. I think they look splendid.

God bless.

Debi said...

Pretty color for your socks. I've knitted a couple of pair they are not my favorite thing to knit. Sorry I can't help with the sizing! Enjoy your weekend!

butterfly said...

Great socks love the colour .
I am having a big sort out of my craft room .
Trouble is I keep finding more things I want to do.
Have a fun weekend .

Linda P said...

The socks that you've knitted look great! I wear socks all the time and cosy ones are being worn again in this colder weather we're experiencing again. Your craft shelves look very organised. I've been trying to sort out cupboards and boxes of stuff. I'm glad that the charity shops are taking items again although I don't browse there at the moment. I took some books into one shop yesterday and will collect up some more as I continue to de-clutter. Have a lovely weekend.

Poppypatchwork said...

I'm a size 6 and I cast on 64 stitches, but I don't like my sock tops long, I use 72 for men's socks. If I was ever to make a slouchy pair I would take your advice and start with 72 stitches.

Jo said...

The socks look great, I like the yarn you've used. I usually cast on 60 or 64 stitches on 2.25mm or 2.5mm needles, depending on if there's a pattern or not, I'm a size 6. A pattern can made a sock a little more snug. I've knit socks for Mick and my dad who both have/had size 9 feet and use 64 stitches on 2.5mm needles, just adding to the length. I'd only cast on more stitches for wider feet. Isn't it a nice feeling to have a tidy up, I bet you came across things you'd forgotten about, I always do when I start having a clear out.

linda said...

Your socks look great, I bet they are cosy and warm, I'm size 5/6 and cast on 60sts on a 2.5 needle. That's for socks that reach just below the calf and they fit just right. I think 72 sts sounds right for a slouchy pair. Your sewing is lovely. Have a lovely weekend. X

Barb said...

Love the socks, they are so pretty!

Carol said...

Such pretty socks, Maggie! I think that little LK finish is darling, too. I will probably make that for my grandson one of these years. It's always so good to tidy up a closet or cupboard--a real feeling of accomplishment. Your area looks great! And no--there is no way any of us could fit our craft supplies in one cupboard :) Have a great week--Happy Easter to you! ♥

Chris said...

Your socks look really comfy, and very neatly knitted. I do 6o stitches and don't think I could do anything differently as I know the pattern off by heart. Ha ha the cupboard for your stash, I have a cupboard and then bags everywhere!

Carin said...

I have a size 6.5 shoe and I cast on 64 stitches on a 2.25mm needle, but I don't knit very tight.
Love the Lizzie Kate piece.

My Creative Life said...

Hi Maggie, Just found your blog as I get back to blogging again. I'm interested about your sock knitting and the sizing advise. Sadly I've only once found a sock to fit me snug. It was a free pattern with the King Cole sock yarn, knitted with 3 mm needles. I've tried the Supersocks free pattern on Winwick Mum (great tutorial on her blog) but they feel baggy on the leg part for me. Size 8 with skinny ankles. Cathy.

Winwick Mum said...

If you're not sure that you're knitting the right size for your feet, you can use the Sock Stitch Calculation in the tension section of my Sockalong tutorials to work it out. Hand knit sock size is based on foot width, not shoe size, so it may be that 72sts is right for your feet. You can also adjust the leg size if you find your socks a bit baggy using the same Calculation 😀 winwickmum.co.uk/sockalong