Pages

Monday 18 July 2022

Monday makes

This past week I've finished two things off my July list.  The first is this cute little bunny



I came across the free pattern months ago on the Tilda website and intended to make it to put in Bonnie's Easter bag.  I got it all cut out and half sewn together and then put it away because it was fiddly and I wasn't in the right frame of mind and I also doubted myself being able to do it.

I'm glad I made the effort, it was fiddly but I took my time and now I love her!
I gave her a little bow and sewed ric rac around the hem of her dress.



She will be added to Bonnie's birthday bag, although I am very tempted to keep her :-)

I also finished the baby blanket I was making for my friends son and his partner.  They are welcoming a baby girl in October.  I asked her if I could make something and she said she thought they would love that, I know not everyone likes knitted baby clothes so I wanted to make sure.



I opted for a simple corner to corner garter stitch blanket.  I made one of these for each of my grandchildren and the girls loved them, they were a perfect size for a new born, not too big or heavy.  

It's knitted in The Women's Institute DK Yarn from Hobbycraft , I used two 100g balls, It knits up lovely and is really soft, a little bit thicker than the usual DK, but that's ok.  I got this when It was on the 3 for 2 offer, I also had a £2.50 voucher to use so the blanket didn't cost anything.  I will knit a cardigan with the other ball and gift it to them nearer the time.

We are in the middle of a heatwave here in the UK, according to the news The Midlands has been issued it's first ever red warning for extreme heat.  Over the next couple of days they have predicted the temperatures to be around 38°, it's 27° indoors at the moment so I can imagine it would be high 30's outside, It might not seem very high temperatures to some but houses in the UK are built to keep the heat IN and we don't have A/C in our homes, you might find it in places of work but there is just no call for it in our homes.  I've got all the curtains and blinds closed, windows and doors open and the fan going, circulating the warm air, lol.  The poor cats don't know where to lie, even Molly, who is a sun worshiper, is spending more time in the shade.  
It looks as though It's set to break by Wednesday though, I can grin and bear it for a few days.

I'll leave you with just a couple of photos from my garden, the hydrangeas are flowering now, although wilting a bit in today's heat, the pink one has less flowers open at the moment.  The wildflowers are flowering at last and are so tall, I'm really pleased I sowed these.




 Take care

-X-

11 comments:

butterfly said...

Love the rabbit and the baby blanket.
Also your lovely garden . stay cool hugs June .

Vickie said...

The baby blanket is pretty, but the bunny is DARLING!! Bonnie will love this!!
Your garden looks great!

Jo said...

Two lovely makes. The bunny is so cute and the baby blanket is perfect for a newborn. It's so hot today and worse to come tomorrow. I can cope with it but it's the poor animals that I feel sorry for in their furry coats. We bought a fan to keep Archie cool but he leaves the room when we turn it on, he doesn't like it. I've found the best thing is to wet a tea towel in cold water, thoroughly wring it out and then drape it over him, he seems to enjoy that.

Heritage Hall said...

You must be very proud of your bunny completion..just adorable. Your garden is so welcoming and serene. Maggie, where would one obtain the instructions for that baby blanket...we are expecting an addition to our extended family and it looks like the perfect gift. Please try to
go slow and be cool....

Carol said...

No matter what craft you choose to do, your work is always so perfect and tidy looking, Maggie! I love the little bunny and can see why you are tempted to keep it for yourself. Lovely baby blanket as well... Your hydrangeas are lovely! I have very few blooms on mine--looks more like your pink one.

I've been hearing about your heat on our news programs--had no idea that most in England do not have air conditioning. We do, but don't often use it. In fact, today it is only 22 C here and I'm sitting with a fleece jacket on :) It will warm up, but it doesn't sound like anywhere near as high as you are getting. Do take care and I hope this heat wave passes quickly!

Jackie said...

Lovely finishes, I would be tempted to keep the bunny as well.

Your hydrangeas are gorgeous. I love the colours. We can only grow white here as that is the only type hardy enough for the weather here on the prairies of Canada.

God bless.

Carin said...

Beautiful rabbit and blanket.
Over here we have a heat weave too.

MartinaM said...

Oh how cute the little bunny is, it was really worth getting ready for. Such a baby blanket is the perfect gift.
We have 3 rabbits who also struggle with the heat, they just lie around, I think that's good for them.
Your hydrangeas are a beautiful colour, I love them.
enjoy your week, Martina

Lowcarb team member said...

Two great makes ... I especially like the rabbit.
Your garden is looking good and your hydrangeas are a nice colour.

Have a lovely Friday and a good weekend.

All the best Jan

Sandy said...

Beautiful garden! I'm very envious. Your little bunny is adorable. You can't go wrong with a simple corner to corner garter stitch blankie. And I love how the yarn over makes such a nice edge.

Terra said...

That bunny you created is so cute and she has personality. Stay cool.