Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2022

Anyone else taking part in this CAL?


 Were having some lovely Autumn days here at the moment, I've just come to sit in the conservatory to have my coffee and enjoy the sunshine.  It's still warm enough to sit in the conservatory at the moment, and I'm making the most of it, and of course taking advantage of natures heating source while we still can.  We haven't put the heating or the fire on yet, If It goes a bit chilly in the evening having a water bottle by me and an extra layer has helped take the chill off.  At the moment our bills are fine, we have only been using around half as much as we pay in each month so there are reserves for when we start using more in the Winter.  Mark submits a metre reading each month and it's annoying when almost every month the utility company send him an email saying they are increasing our direct debit, they can clearly see we are paying more than enough, with money in reserve, Mark calls them and say no, we are not increasing on your say so, if needs be we will increase it, but I wonder how many people just either don't pick up on the fact their monthly payment has gone up, or don't know that they can call and refuse to pay what the company are asking for?  These companies are making millions, and as I see it my money is better in my bank, not theirs making them yet more money!  Sorry for the little rant there 😉

I didn't come here to talk about bills and the cost of living, I came here to tell you about a CAL I'm going to be taking part in.  

I was vaguely aware of this blanket in July when there was a Christmas in July CAL but there was too much going on over the Summer to think about taking part but, a couple of weeks ago I saw that there was another CAL starting on October 20th, so I ordered the yarn for it.


The Christmas Eve Wishes Blanket  (CAL)
Photo below curtesy of Madebyanita blog


Various online shops are selling the kit for it but I purchased mine separately from Wool Warehouse, there was hardly any difference in price doing it like that but places selling kits were selling out really quickly and I wanted to make sure I had everything ready to go on the start date.  I believe there are two other colour options, a blue and a pink, but to me, red and green shout Christmas.

If you are interested in making this beautiful blanket too there is a group in the Sirdar make along group on fb, although you don't have to join the group because all the details are on the blog Madebyanita she will also be posting the weekly pattern releases on her blog, oh, and the pattern is FREE.  How generous is that!

I can't wait to get started on Thursday, I haven't done any crochet in a while and there will be some stitches I'm not familiar with, also, I've never done colour changing in crochet but apparently there will be photo/video tutorials so It should be doable.  Let me know if you are taking part in this CAL too.

October means the beginning of the birthday season for us, we have NINE family birthdays between now and the end of December, starting with Oliver's yesterday.

The wonderful boy that made me a nanny is 10 years old


He's growing up far too quickly!

We went to Pizza Hut for a birthday treat along with his cousins, they had a lovely, (if noisy) time.

-X-

13 comments:

Jo said...

What a lovely blanket, far beyond my crochet capabilities though I fear. Definitely green and red for Christmas for me too though. Oliver is looking very grown up now, that's a lot of birthdays between now and Christmas.

Heritage Hall said...

What a lovely and unique Christmas design... you
should enjoy working it. My goodness, your months
will be birthday-filled by year's end.Enjoy every one of them, Maggie.

meandmysmallcorner said...


Good luck with your Christmas CAL. It looks a lovely project. It might be a project for another year after I have finished my current blanket.

Carin said...

Happy birthday.
The blanket looks wonderful, have fun making it.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your garden is looking lovely in the Autumn sunlight.
The blanket looks brilliant.

Happy Birthday to Oliver. That's a lovely photograph, a great smile.
Enjoy your family birthday season :)

All the best Jan

Sandy said...

The blanket looks lovely. I wish I knew how to do that. My mother was the crochet person and I the cross stitcher I think everyone in the world is looking at ways to stretch the money. The birthday boy is quite handsome. Our family’s birthdays seem to be in two clumps as well.

butterfly said...

Always such an interesting post.
Yes, we are all trying to cut down with our heating bills.
I wonder what we can save, we have brought some great bright lights ready for the black outs.
We had to do this back when my girls were small.
No bread in the shops and many foods missing, but we got through it, and we can-do it again, I am sure.
Love the blanket so cosy.

linda said...

Your garden is looking beautiful in the Autumn sunshine, I'm not looking forward to the cold weather that's for sure. I haven't put my heating on either, my energy company has actually reduced my monthly payment so I guess I'm lucky. That is a beautiful blanket and I'm sure that you will have lots of fun making it, great that it's a free pattern too. Happy birthday to your grandson the time goes so quickly, that'a a lot of family holidays coming up I have 5 one of which is mine and one actually on Christmas day. xx

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

That blanket looks super nice, but I do have a lot of blankets, plus I have some other Christmas bits to make. But thank you for sharing it.

Jackie said...

What a lovely blanket for a CAL. Makes me wish I knew how to crochet. Free is good.

Happy Birthday to all who are celebrating this month. October is a big month for birthdays here as well. Then we have a rest until December.

God bless.

Sandy said...

LOVE the afghan you're going to be making in the CAL. I don't do well with CAL's. It's been a good number of years since I've done one. We've had the heat on now for awhile, as it's been too cold not too. We were below freezing last night. Starting out like a pretty cold fall here. Though the weather folks say it may be nice this wkend. Hope so, as I still have some yard work to do...the fall clean up is not complete.

MartinaM said...

They have also increased the deductions for us and I can still get by without heating. The mild days definitely help. Let's see what winter brings.
The ceiling will be really nice, Christmas motifs, so fitting. I wish you lots of fun crocheting.
Enjoy your weekend
Martina

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

That is a gorgeous blanket but I fear beyond my abilities. Hope it goes well for you so happy stitching from me!