Pages

Monday 3 January 2022

Books read in 2021 - reading challenge

 I've mentioned before how I keep a reading record on Goodreads and I set my reading challenge every year on New Years Day.  I've set my challenge at 50 books again for 2022, it seems like a good round number to aim for, although I don't always reach it.

Last year I managed to read 42 books which, according to Goodreads, equates to 12,760 pages.  I usually only read when I go to bed, so I'm happy with that number.

My shortest book was Lockdown by Peter May, (246 pages), my longest book was Stone Cold Heart by Caz Frear, (480 pages)

Two books stand out from last year for me, The Midnight Library, by Matt Haig and The Four Winds, By Kristen Hannah, both very different books but brilliant in their own right.

The Midnight Library was a popular choice on goodreads with 1,875,26 people shelving it

My last book for 2021 was Times Echo by Pamela Hartshown, I'd put this near the top of my list too, thoroughly enjoyed this time slip novel, not a fast read but, one of those books, similar to the other two that you actually don't mind reading every word because it's all relevant and not just padding out the story. 

I've recently joined a book club again.  I used to belong to one at my local library but due to dwindling numbers that one closed some time ago  The one I've joined is at the same library but this particular group has been going for a number of years and before the pandemic was always full, but because of the situation over the last two years and the various lockdowns some members decided to drop out altogether, which is how I was able to join.  I've been to one meeting so far and everyone seems very nice and I'm really looking forward to reading what books are on offer, our first meeting of the year is at the end of January.

Are you a reader? what books stand out as your favourites last year? and have you set yourself a reading challenge for this year?

-X-

15 comments:

Poppypatchwork said...

I'm a book worm, but crafting and life took reading time last year, I'm aiming for at least 1 book per week, in the winter I can read up to 3 books, in the summer I struggle to find reading time.

Debi said...

I am a reader, but like you I mostly read at bedtime. I belong to a book club but we have not met in two years... darn COVID. We are all in our 60s and 70s with various health issues. Even though we are all vaccinated we all stay pretty close to home. I love Kristin Hannah's books but haven't yet read Four Winds. Have a great week.

Jackie said...

Definitely a reader here. My challenge last year was to read through the alphabet (the titles all had to start with a different letter of the alphabet). I, like you, only read before bed and that definitely cuts down reading time.

God bless.

butterfly said...

That is alot of books Maggie .
I am a slow reader maybe one a month .
Have a great New Year.

Jo said...

I've read just six of the books on your list. I love reading but I find it takes time that I want to spend on other things so this year I'm trying to cut back on my reading. I'd like to read more classics this year, as well as continuing with the Miss Read books which I started to work my way through last year.

linda said...

I love to read but it takes up so much of your time so it's usually a half an hour or so at bedtime. I haven't read any of those that you have, I'll have to look at the two you have highlighted. xx

Vickie said...

This is wonderful Maggie! Good for you! I love to read also. I always have. I read 99 books this year. I try for 100 each year. I read only four of the same as you, so I will have plenty to check into that you listed. Thank you! :)

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Thanks for your list, I've made a note of a few, and for pointing out Goodreads. I definitely need to track what I've read.

Linda P said...

Congratulations on all the books you read in 2021! I'm a slow reader but I like to go to our library just to browse and hopefully our reading group there will start up again although the librarian who leads it sent a note via email to say she's being cautious about getting together because most of the members are in the vulnerable health category. I hope you enjoy your group meeting at the end of January.

Lowcarb team member said...

You've done well with your reading.
I enjoy reading but have never set myself a challenge or target.
I'm currently reading a Kate Morton book.

I hope you enjoy your book club meetings.

All the best Jan

Carol said...

The Four Winds was one of my favorites, too, Maggie, but I haven't read The Midnight Library--will have to look for it! I read 47 this year--was aiming for 50, but I had no time at all the last two weeks with my grandson visiting. Maybe this year :)

Barb said...

Great seeing your list! I don't keep track but do read every night. I belong to a book group where 3 or 4 times a year we read the same book, the rest of the year we talk about books and share. I really enjoyed The Lost Apothecary. Not sure I really have a favorite!

Carin said...

You already saw my booklist. Thanks for your comment.
The two books The Midnight Library by Matt Haig and The Four Winds By Kristen Hannah, I also have on my booklist to read. So that will be for this year.
I just finished The Wild Silence by Raynor Winn, my first book of this year. Now start reading an older book Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher, always wanted to read this. Love stories that are set in England or Scotland.

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Well done on reading all those books. I only read a couple in 2021, although I did get through a few audiobooks. The Thursday Murder Club is on my list to read, so maybe I should make that my first book of 2022.

Happy New Year!