Pages

Friday 18 March 2022

Plant collection

House plants seem to be having a come back lately so I thought I would share the ones I have at the moment.  When I was first married I went mad on plants and filled the house, then there was a time when I had none at all but more recently I've discovered a liking for them again.

I popped into Lidl a few weeks ago and they had some Aloe Vera plants on offer, they were a really good size and only £4.99, so one came home with me.  I've read that the ideal place for them is a window ledge so it's in the front room at the moment, although I think I may put it outside in the summer, it has loads of new growth and does need re-potting


My bargain Ivy from Wilkinsons is doing really well, it's doubled in size since I bought it


My Prayer Plant lives in the bathroom and seems to like it there, this too has lots of new leaves unfurling

There was not information on this plant, I think it's Birds Nest Fern?  I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong.  It's fairly slow growing, I've had it for a few months and it's on got one new leaf, although there are plenty curled in the middle ready


My Christmas Cactus was bought from Aldi and I've had for a few years, it was covered in flowers in December, last year at this time there were a few buds too, but none as yet this year.  It needs re-potting, I've bought some cactus and succulent compost but will wait until it warms up a bit more before I tackle it.


My Oxalis is doing well again.  My brother in law bought me this after I had admired one my sister had.  It varies on how well it does, it has been huge, with loads of flowers in the past, then it seems to loose the will to live, only to come back again, I've read that they are pretty much indestructible, and I think it's true.  At the moment it's living in the conservatory and seems to like it there, I'll have to move it once the weather warms up though.



The next two are new additions this week, I treated myself when I went to Dobbies on Tuesday.
I was in two minds about getting a spider plant, I've had one in the past but It got way too big and straggly.  We will have to wait and see if this one fares any better.
I did re-pot this when I got it home as it was already pot bound.  I need to find a new ceramic pot for it too.


I've wanted a boston Fern for ages, I did want a larger to put on a stand in the bathroom but they only had these medium sized ones, they are slow growers so I may have to wait a while.


 I'm enjoying all my house plants at the moment and they do seem to make a room more inviting.

-X

16 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

Your Aloe Vera is HUGE! Coincidentally I did a post about them yesterday.
Aloe Vera and Jade plants are the only indoor plants I can keep alive - they are very forgiving

Poppypatchwork said...

I love houseplants but hubby doesn't, I still manage to have loads, our sunny spot is our office, so my desk is full of plants.

Blods said...

Hi there, you have some lovely plants. Just thought you'd like to know that in Austrailia, oxalis are regarded as a weed as they are completely indistructible and you'll never get rid of it if you plant it in the garden! They also have periods of dormancy which is comp-letely normal, Best wishes Blods

Jo said...

I can tell you that oxalis are not indestructible as I managed to kill one many years ago, haha. All your plants looks so healthy. I've never really been one for house plants until just recently, I've got a few now.

Heritage Hall said...

How I admire your green thumb and your knitting fingers....Mother always had aloe vera at the
ready for our cuts and bruises and her Christmas
cactus was a joyful yule gift to behold....

Debi said...

Your plants are lovely! I bought Boston ferns to hang on our porch a few years back with the thought that I would bring them in for the winter and then have them to hang out on the porch again the next spring. Unfortunately, they seemed to like living on the porch better than in the house and didn't make it through the winter. Have a great weekend!

Barb said...

Your plants all look so healthy and pretty. I agree, they do brighten up a room!

Jackie said...

What lovely houseplants you have. They all look so very healthy.

God bless.

butterfly said...

Lovely house plants .
So good for your health to.
Enjoy your weekend .

linda said...

Your house plants are lovely, like you I used to have so many at one time but the lighting isn't that good for them in the house I'm living in now. I love the prayer plant, my Christmas cactus looks as if it's forming buds right now I have had so many baby plants from it over the years, I love house plants I think that they become your friends haha. Have a lovely weekend. xx

Miriam said...

You houseplants are all nice. I have had some of them too during years. Never had an oxalis, I like it too much, never seen in the shops here.
Have a nice week end ,
Miriam

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Wow, I love your plants. I definitely need more house plants. My son has a fab collection in his apartment in Manchester. And luckily we're going to the garden centre tomorrow morning, where I think i will be making a purchase or two.

Lowcarb team member said...

I think your houseplants look very nice ...

Have a lovely weekend.

All the best Jan

Christine said...

I do like that purple leaf oxalis, very pretty. I'm not too good with indoor plants but since we've moved we have wide window sills so I might have a go again. I have managed to keep a spider plant through 3 house moves..

Carol said...

Your houseplants all look so healthy and green, Maggie! You definitely have a green thumb. I, like you, had a ton of houseplants when I first married in the late '70s. I'm slowly buying more as I realize how much they add to a home. Hope I have as good luck with them as you!

Robin said...

Your plants look so great. You must really have a green thumb!