Pages

Wednesday 26 April 2023

Chart buying and visiting a castle

Saturday was our April meet-up at the Nimble Thimble, there were fifteen of us this time, It was a lovely day of stitching, chatting, shopping and of course eating, Chris and her husband always put on a lovely buffet lunch and afternoon cake for us to enjoy too.

These are my purchases, didn't go overboard but I'm happy with what I got.


A few of the ladies bought Hoot in A Boot last time and once I'd gone home I kept wishing I'd bought it too.  Luckily Chris still had a few in stock.  Halloween stitching is not my thing but with the pumpkins I think this can be more of an Autumn piece.  I might try and get this one and the Autumn Cottage stitched this year, the others will be project for next year. 

The weather has been kind so far this week, yesterday was really lovely, a perfect day for a visit to Conwy Castle.   The castle was built between 1283 and 1287 by Edward I during his conquest of Wales.  You can read more about the history here, if you are interested.
  What a great place!  Navigating all those narrow steps to climb to the top of the turrets, (I think I climbed all of them), is well worth it, the views are just amazing, It's extremely high, as I think you can see from the photos.










Great views of the LLandudno Flyover, on the left, in the middle is Thomas Telford's suspension bridge. The bridge was one of the first suspension bridges in the world and is a grade I listed structure, now taken care of by The National Trust and is passable by foot.  
On the right is the tubular railway bridge, it was built between 1846 and 1848 one of the first examples built of this type of bridge, and the only one left, it too is now grade I listed.






I'll share my walk along Conwy town walls another time.

Enjoy the rest of your week

-X-

9 comments:

Heritage Hall said...

Maggie dear, I don't envy, but how I envy your mobility to traverse those heights. The views are
awe-inspiring and you had perfect weather for touring. Imagine such engineering skills so long before our "modern age".....Another "thank you" for
including us in your discoveries.... Just love your
choices for future stitching...

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow! Such lovely photographs, and didn't you have some great weather.

All the best Jan

MartinaM said...

Very pretty patterns, my favorite is Autumn Cottage, gorgeous.
Wow what a great old castle and what an amazing view. Thank you for taking me, they are great pictures.
Have a good time
Martina

Linda P said...

The Nimble Thimble meet up sounds like a great place where you can spend time with friends who share your love of needlework. It's a good opportunity to stock up on craft kits too. Your photos of Conway are wonderful. So glad you enjoyed the visit.

Poppypatchwork said...

Lovely photos of Conway castle, it's been years since we visited.

butterfly said...

looks like you had a wonderful time .
Great charts what fun .
Great photos to .
Enjoy your day hugs June.

Carol said...

Glad you found some goodies at your stitching get together, Maggie! All look like they'll be great fun to stitch.

I'm always in awe of the historical sites that you can see in Great Britain--just amazing how old they are. We can't really imagine that here in the U.S. I always enjoy seeing your part of the world. ♥

Jo said...

It looks like you were lucky with the weather for your trip. It always sounds a lovely time away, catching up with friends while stitching and then a bit of sightseeing. Conwy Castle is amazing, those views, not sure I'd make it up all those steps though, haha, you're fitter than me!

meandmysmallcorner said...


The colour of the sea and sky show what wonderful weather you had. The views from the top of Conwy Castle are stunning and the city walls walk show even more of this lovely town. How amazing to see all those seals in a place that they obviously felt safe.
Great stitching and the frame is just right.