Pages

Friday 24 December 2021

Advent socks

 In this recent post I mentioned how I'd created my own yarn Advent this year and you might have spotted this wrapped package on the top of the basket.  

Around Christmastime last year I was having a sort out and I had the idea of wrapping a skein of yarn from my stash and opening it on December 1st to knit a pair of socks throughout December.  


I'd completely forgotten what yarn I'd wrapped up so it was a lovely surprise to open this colourful skein from Mr & Mrs Rabbit Yarns called Fairy Lights

Despite really wanting to knit socks I have struggled with making them.  I think because there are so many patterns and different stitch counts to choose, It gets me confused and I end up overthinking everything.  Anyway, with the success of finally finishing my second ever pair of socks, which I shared here, I decided to have another go, and, ta da, I have finished another pair!


I cast these on December 1st and finished them on December 23rd.  I can't work out why, but they really seemed to take no time at all.  I used the tutorial by Craft House Magic for the heels and toes, (I find the Ellie explains things in a way I can understand), the contrast blue for those was a mini I had in stash, which I think goes really well.

I won't be casting on anymore over Christmas as I've got some stitching I want to do but, I have picked out some more yarn to cast on another pair on New Years Eve.

I've been last minute wrapping today, we had Bonnie on Wednesday and Thursday and I didn't get chance to do it, Mark has put together the children's bikes and scooters while I made gingerbread granola and stolen tray bake for extra gifts, (both are lovely because, well, I had to sample first, ha ha).


Here are the rest of my advent yarns, and yes, I saved all my chocolates :-)


Jo included a lovely ceramic spoon in today's package , I love it Jo, thank you.


And it just so happened that I also had included a mug in my own advent calendar :-)


And here is my basket of goodies all ready to add into my blanket next year :-)

🎅MERRY CHRISTMAS🎅

-X-

10 comments:

Heritage Hall said...

What happy socks !!! Certain they are a comfort and joy to wear. A most blessed Christmastide, Maggie.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

It all looks truly scrumptious. I'm very jealous of your sock expertise, I must try and make some soon.

Dee said...

What a very smart idea. Your socks are beautiful.

Wishing you and your family a merry Christmas and a joyful Boxing Day.

Barb said...

I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. I do love those socks!!!

Jo said...

Your socks are lovely, you're quite the expert sock knitter now and there'll be no stopping you, haha. Glad you liked the spoon, I picked it up from a little shop in Malham when we visited earlier in the year knowing that it would be perfect to pop in the advent swap. I obviously picked the perfect day to include it, with you opening a mug in your own advent calendar on the same day. I hope you've had a lovely Christmas and continue to enjoy the rest of the festive season.

Jules said...

Your socks look lovely, and ever so cosy.
Merry Christmas to you and your family. X

Lowcarb team member said...

Your socks look great.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.
Enjoy the week ahead, and my good wishes for 2022.

All the best Jan

Jackie said...

Just lovely sock knitting. The contrast is wonderful.

Good on you saving all those chocolates, they would not have lasted here at all.

I hope your holidays were filled with peace and joy.

God bless.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Great looking socks.

Carin said...

I love the socks, they are so beautiful !
Great advent yarn and lovely spoon, but that mug is amazing.